Manipulating Formulas with Derivatives

In summary: H in terms of T, S, P, and V using the equations H = U + PV and dU = TdS - PdV. The conversation also touches on the use of differential forms and the properties they share with derivatives. The person asking the question is unsure if they are missing a step in the solution and is looking for suggestions on how to approach the problem using strict mathematical methods.
Bernie Hunt
The Problem;
Given H = U + PV and dU = TdS - PdV
Find dH in terms of T, S, P, V

My Solution;

H = U + PV
dH = dU + PdV + VdP
dH = (TdS - PdV) + PdV + VdP
dH = Tds + VdP

My Question

Am I missing a step between the first and second steps? I'm taking the derivative of both sides, but not specifying what the derivative is in respect to. (bad English, sorry)

I learn this short hand from some physics guys, but I'm looking for the strict mathematical method.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bernie

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to make sense of what they're doing is via differential forms. If the sequence xi are generalized coordinates on (a local patch of) the state space, so that any function f on the state space can be represented as a function of the xi's, then one property of differential forms is that

[tex]
df = \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} dx_i,
[/tex]

which, formally, looks just like the chain rule. Because of the formal similarity, differentials share many of the same properties as derivatives, such as
d(fg) = f dg + g df.​

(Some formulations of differential forms take this property as part of the definition)

(In differential geometry, it is customary to write i as a superscript, not a subscript. But I wrote it this way becuase I figured it was probably more familiar to you. In particular, so that it doesn't look like exponentiation)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Hurkyl.

I haven't had DE yet, so I can't really comment on your reply.

Bernie

1. What is the purpose of manipulating formulas with derivatives?

Manipulating formulas with derivatives allows us to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point, as well as the slope of the tangent line at that point. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you manipulate formulas with derivatives?

To manipulate a formula with derivatives, we use rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to rewrite the formula in a way that makes it easier to find the derivative.

3. Can manipulating formulas with derivatives help us solve real-world problems?

Absolutely! Manipulating formulas with derivatives can help us solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, optimizing a process, or determining the velocity and acceleration of an object.

4. Are there any limitations to manipulating formulas with derivatives?

While manipulating formulas with derivatives is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not work for functions that are discontinuous or have sharp turns. In addition, some functions may be too complex to manipulate using traditional rules.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in manipulating formulas with derivatives?

The best way to improve your skills in manipulating formulas with derivatives is to practice, practice, practice! You can find many practice problems and examples online or in textbooks. It's also helpful to understand the concepts behind the rules, rather than just memorizing them, so you can apply them to different types of functions. Finally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in improving your skills.