Finding work of adiabatic compressor using ideal gas

In summary, we are calculating the work done on the compressor and the temperature of the discharge gas by treating each parcel of gas as a closed system experiencing an adiabatic reversible compression. The energy balance equation used is ##dU = -PdV## and we can use the ideal gas law to find the final temperature.
worryingchem

Homework Statement

Methane at ## P_1 ## and ## T_1 ## is compressed to a pressure of ## P_2 ## adiabatically at steady-state. Calculate the work done on the compressor and the temperature ## T_2 ## of the discharge gas. Use ideal gas model.
Given:
## T_1, P_1, P_2, C_p, \gamma = 1.4 ##

## PV^\gamma = constant ##

## W = \int_{P_1}^{P_2} VdP ##

## \Delta H = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} C_p dT = W ##

Homework Equations

## dH = TdS + VdP ##

## dQ = TdS ##

Steady-state energy balance: ## \Delta H = W_{shaft} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,
my first question is that is this process reversible?
Because if I started from ## dH = TdS + VdP ##, in order to apply ## 0 = dQ = TdS ## to get ## dH = VdP ##, won't the process have to be reversible?

Then, using the energy balance, I make ## dH = VdP = dW ## and got the given equation ## W = \int_{P_1}^{P_2} VdP ##. My second question here is that can we use ## dW = -PdV ## here instead of ## dW = VdP ##? And why can't or can we? I'm confused as to when we can use ## dW = -PdV ##.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
worryingchem said:

Homework Statement

Methane at ## P_1 ## and ## T_1 ## is compressed to a pressure of ## P_2 ## adiabatically at steady-state. Calculate the work done on the compressor and the temperature ## T_2 ## of the discharge gas. Use ideal gas model.
Given:
## T_1, P_1, P_2, C_p, \gamma = 1.4 ##

## PV^\gamma = constant ##

## W = \int_{P_1}^{P_2} VdP ##

## \Delta H = \int_{T_1}^{T_2} C_p dT = W ##

Homework Equations

## dH = TdS + VdP ##

## dQ = TdS ##

Steady-state energy balance: ## \Delta H = W_{shaft} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,
my first question is that is this process reversible?
You're supposed to assume the process is reversible.
Because if I started from ## dH = TdS + VdP ##, in order to apply ## 0 = dQ = TdS ## to get ## dH = VdP ##, won't the process have to be reversible?
Yes.

Then, using the energy balance, I make ## dH = VdP = dW ## and got the given equation ## W = \int_{P_1}^{P_2} VdP ##. My second question here is that can we use ## dW = -PdV ## here instead of ## dW = VdP ##? And why can't or can we? I'm confused as to when we can use ## dW = -PdV ##.

Thank you for your help.
You are supposed to be calculating the shaft work, not the total work which, if you remember, also includes PV work pushing the gas into the compressor and it pushing gas ahead of it out of the compressor. For this situation, the equation gives you the shaft work.

But there is also another way to do this problem that gives the same answer for the shaft work. This is where you treat each parcel of gas passing through the compressor as a closed system experiencing an adiabatic reversible compression. On this basis, you can calculate the exit temperature from the compressor (as they ask you to do). Then you calculate ΔH from ##mC_p ΔT = W_s##. When you solve it this way, you should get the same answer as when you integrate VdP.

If I treat the parcel of gas as a closed system, will the energy balance be like the following?
## dU = -PdV ##
## C_v \Delta T = -\int_{P_1}^{P_2} PdV ##
From here, will I plug in ## PV^{\gamma} = constant ## to find ## T_2 ## ?

worryingchem said:
If I treat the parcel of gas as a closed system, will the energy balance be like the following?
## dU = -PdV ##
## C_v \Delta T = -\int_{P_1}^{P_2} PdV ##
From here, will I plug in ## PV^{\gamma} = constant ## to find ## T_2 ## ?
You write ## PV^{\gamma} = constant ## and you substitute ##V=RT/P##

So I get ## P_2(RT_2/P_2)^\gamma = constant ## and solve for ## T_2 ##.
Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is an adiabatic compressor?

An adiabatic compressor is a device that compresses a gas without any heat transfer with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the compression process.

2. How does an adiabatic compressor work?

An adiabatic compressor works by compressing a gas through a series of stages, each stage increasing the pressure of the gas. This is achieved by using a rotating impeller or piston to decrease the volume of the gas, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How do you find the work of an adiabatic compressor using the ideal gas law?

To find the work of an adiabatic compressor using the ideal gas law, you can use the equation W = -nRTln(V2/V1), where W is work, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes of the gas, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of adiabatic compressors?

Adiabatic compressors have a wide range of applications, including in refrigeration systems, air compressors, gas turbines, and internal combustion engines. They are also used in industrial processes such as chemical manufacturing and oil refining.