equation of plane

by Winzer
Tags: equation, plane
Winzer
Jun21-07, 09:05 PM
P: 605
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Find the equation of the plane that passes throughthe point (-1,2,1) and contains the line of intersection of the planes x+y-z=2, and 2x-y+3=1

2. Relevant equations
[tex]a(x-x_{o})+b(y-y_{o})+c(z-z_{o})=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
My reasoning is that we can take the normal vectors of the given planes, take the cross product, which will be orthoganol to the plane we want.
We then just plug the obtained normal vector and the point into the equation. Right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
ice109
Jun21-07, 09:13 PM
P: 1,705
that's correct
Winzer
Jun21-07, 09:18 PM
P: 605
Just wanted to check.
I get an anwer but it is wrong from the books, so it must be my doing.

ice109
Jun21-07, 09:26 PM

equation of plane

put up your calculations in tex and i'll follow em through
ZioX
Jun21-07, 11:16 PM
P: 372
Shouldn't you find the the line of intersection? And then the direction from the point (-1,2,1) to a point on the line? And then find a vector perpendicular to the two directions? And then pick any point that you know is going to be on your plane to satisfy your scalar equations?
ice109
Jun22-07, 01:36 AM
Quote Quote by ZioX View Post
Shouldn't you find the the line of intersection? And then the direction from the point (-1,2,1) to a point on the line? And then find a vector perpendicular to the two directions? And then pick any point that you know is going to be on your plane to satisfy your scalar equations?
yea thats right, i wasn't thinking straight. how do you find a vector that's perpindicular to the vector that points from the (-1,2,1) to the line of intersection? find a vector which when crossed with it = 0?
D H
Jun22-07, 05:43 AM
Mentor
P: 14,433
Quote Quote by ice109 View Post
yea thats right, i wasn't thinking straight. how do you find a vector that's perpindicular to the vector that points from the (-1,2,1) to the line of intersection?
What is the angle between the cross product of two vectors and either of the two multiplicand vectors?
ice109
Jun22-07, 07:24 AM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
What is the angle between the cross product of two vectors and either of the two multiplicand vectors?
90deg , yea just cross the vector from (-1,2,1) and the line of intersection to the normal vector of the plane

Register to reply