Find all points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel

In summary: Thirdly, the equation of the tangent plane is given by$$ z= \sqrt{5} $$And finally,$$ ∇w_2= (1,−2,3) $$In summary, the normal vector of a plane is a vector that points in the direction of the plane's normal. The equation of the tangent plane is the equation of the surface that corresponds to the point where the normal vector and the surface intersect.
Addez123
Homework Statement
Given the level surface $$x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 5$$ find all points where the tangentplane is parallel to the plane: $$x - 2y + 3z = 13$$
Relevant Equations
Normal vector = grad(curve)
$$x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 5$$
$$x - 2y + 3z = 13$$
First I find the normal vector given any position:
$$w(x, y, z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2$$
$$∇w(x, y, z) = (2x, 2y, 2z)$$

Normal vector of plane:
$$w_2 = x - 2y + 3z$$
$$∇w_2 = (1, -2, 3)$$

##∇w = ∇w2## => point where planes are parallel = (1/2, -1, 3/2)

This is completely off, but I can't find any help on how to solve this anywhere on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some questions for you:

- What is the tangent plane at a different point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## on your surface?
- When are two planes with standard equation parallel?

Math_QED said:
Some questions for you:

- What is the tangent plane at a different point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## on your surface?
- When are two planes with standard equation parallel?
1. Assuming x_0, y_0, z_0 is on the level surface, the equation is:
$$ 2(x - x_0) + 2(y - y_0) + 2(z - z_0) = 5 $$
2. They are parallel when their normal vectors are scalars of each other.

Addez123 said:
1. Assuming x_0, y_0, z_0 is on the level surface, the equation is:
$$ 2(x - x_0) + 2(y - y_0) + 2(z - z_0) = 5 $$
2. They are parallel when their normal vectors are scalars of each other.

Well, think about it geometrically. ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 5## is the equation of the surface of a sphere at the origin with radius ##\sqrt{5}##. You can easily visualise how a tangent plane at a sphere looks like. For example, without even calculating anything, you see that the equation of the tangent plane at ##(0,0, \sqrt{5})## must be a translate of the ##x,y##-plane. Thus the tangent plane at ##(0,0,\sqrt{5})## is given by the equation ##z= \sqrt{5}##.

However, the formula you gave says that the tangent plane at this point is ##2x + 2y +2(z-\sqrt{5}) = 5##, which is not the same thing.

This is a good illustration that shows that thinking geometrically can tell you quickly whether you are on the right track or not.

Now, we identified where your mistake lies. You calculated wrongly the equation of the tangent plane!

Can you correct yourself?

I can see that it's incorrect but not how to solve it.
For one, the result should be equal to zero, because were doing the dot product of vectors within the plane against the normal vector.
Secondly, our normal vector at point $$(x_0, y_0, z_0)$$ is $$2(x_0, y_0, z_0)$$
Then my equation becomes
$$2x_0(x−x_0)+2y_0(y−y_0)+2z_0(z−z_0)=0 $$

But honestly I can't see why I need to do this at all. The only thing I need to do is align the normal vectors and I got both:
$$∇w=(2x,2y,2z)$$
$$∇w_2=(1,−2,3) $$

Why can't I just set them equal to each other?

Last edited:

1. What is a level surface tangent plane?

A level surface tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a given point on a three-dimensional surface and is parallel to the slope of the surface at that point. It represents the direction of steepest change on the surface at that point.

2. How do you find all points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel?

To find all points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel, you need to calculate the gradient of the surface at each point and set it equal to the gradient of the tangent plane. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved to find the points where the two gradients are equal.

3. What is the significance of finding points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel?

Finding points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel can help us understand the behavior of a surface and its rate of change at different points. It can also be useful in optimization problems where we want to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent.

4. Can the level surface tangent plane be parallel to more than one point on a surface?

Yes, the level surface tangent plane can be parallel to multiple points on a surface. This happens when the surface has a flat region or a ridge where the slope is the same in multiple directions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding points where the level surface tangent plane is parallel. One example is in the field of engineering, where it can be used to determine the direction of maximum stress on a surface. It can also be useful in physics and geology, where it can help us understand the behavior of natural surfaces and phenomena.