Mucus and other such fun

by mbrmbrg
Tags: mucus
mbrmbrg
Jul31-07, 04:25 PM
P: 497
Why is nasal congestion due to a cold so much worse inside than outside? (Or is it just me?)
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Declining catch rates in Caribbean green turtle fishery may be result of overfishing
Chimpanzees prefer firm, stable beds
For cells, internal stress leads to unique shapes
Danger
Aug1-07, 01:37 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
Having noticed a similiar effect, I have a theory about that.
I have both chronic bronchitis and advanced emphysema, and I find that I can breathe much easier in cold weather. Having been something of a racer back in the day, I can't help but suspect that it's based upon the same principle as a car running better in cold or foggy air. It's a denser intake charge.
A 'normal' person with nasal congestion is sort of in the same predicament that I am all of the time, in that inhalation is difficult. Warm air takes up more space per molecule than does cold air. In made-up numbers, rather than actual figures, let's assume that your lungs hold 1 litre of air each. With cold air, you might have something like 30% more molecules (and therefore 30% more oxygen) per breath than you do with warm air. As a general rule (at least where I live), it's warmer inside than outside.
Also, in an enclosed environment the air will have a lower percent of oxygen since carbon dioxide will accumulate without the benefit of free circulation.
mbrmbrg
Aug1-07, 09:58 AM
P: 497
Interesting... But I've noticed this effect both in the winter (colder inside than outside) and in the summer (warmer inside than outside). The cross-seasonal effect also leads me to believe it ain't allergies.

Danger
Aug1-07, 01:21 PM
PF Gold

Mucus and other such fun

In that case, I'm stumped for now.
NoTime
Aug1-07, 10:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,572
Quote Quote by mbrmbrg View Post
Interesting... But I've noticed this effect both in the winter (colder inside than outside) and in the summer (warmer inside than outside). The cross-seasonal effect also leads me to believe it ain't allergies.
Could be something inside that you are allergic to.
That wouldn't be affected by seasons.
Danger
Aug1-07, 11:07 PM
PF Gold
Good point. Among my other maladies is an allergy to dust. Doesn't matter what kind of dust, from house stuff to road dirt to crap that flies up when I mow the lawn. It isn't seasonal.
jim mcnamara
Aug2-07, 11:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
If this helps -

Elevated physical activity levels - like going from sitting to walking - can open up clogged nasal passages. So, if while out you are mostly walking that may be a contributory factor.

And, in general, the overall allergen load inside is generally higher than outside. Dust/skin mites, shed skin, are found inside very commonly. Pollutants from cooking - the products of the destructive distillation of low molecular weight fatty acids during cooking for example - are also something many people have problems with. Deep fry a lot?
Monique
Aug2-07, 12:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
I have noticed the same effect when I had a cold a few weeks ago. Inside my nose would become totally congested, outside the passages would clear almost completely. I haven't come up with a theory yet that would explain this effect.
Moridin
Aug2-07, 01:05 PM
P: 858
I get the same effect with my allergies to pollen, but it may not be related since the quality of the air is better outside. For the other conditions, there may be some hints here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003049.htm

Maybe the temperature outside is lower and this reduces the size of the blood vessel? If not lower, there is a lot more air (as it moves/blows) to transport away heat content?

Register to reply