the most money making jobs in the world

by En_lizard
Tags: jobs, money, world
J77
Oct25-07, 06:38 AM
P: 1,157
Aside from striking it lucky, either through getting everyone to buy your product or winning the lottery...

I think your question was about what degree to persue.

1. You can't do a degree inbecoming a CEO.
2. The only degrees I can think of which truly lead towards a specific career are engineering; specifically civil engineering.

The other obvious alternative is to do any degree, brim with confidence, get on a graduate program in a bank, brim with confidence, make money...

Of course, this depends on what country you live in.

As far as immigrating goes... again, I don't think a specific degree helps. Maybe get a trade instead; eg. Australia value carpenters above techaers when it comes to getting in (iirc).
bravernix
Oct25-07, 08:35 AM
P: 188
Quote Quote by J77 View Post
As far as immigrating goes... again, I don't think a specific degree helps. Maybe get a trade instead; eg. Australia value carpenters above techaers when it comes to getting in (iirc).
I would like to emphasize this bit here. With most of the trades there are always many jobs available. Countries such as New Zealand also have skills shortage lists -- if you have the right skills you generally have a much easier time getting into the country. It seems that people often forget about the trades, but they can be quite lucrative, as well as enjoyable.
huckmank
Oct25-07, 08:57 AM
P: 101
J.D. or MBA.

Law firms have a defined path to making high 6 digits, low 7, you just have to work 80-100 hours a week to get there. Good firm jobs pay about 160k the first year out of college. I would call that good money for a 24 year old.

Similarly, you could get an MBA and work your way up to upper management.

Or no degree at all and become an entrepreneur.
En_lizard
Oct25-07, 09:48 AM
P: 65
Quote Quote by danago View Post
Quoted from wikipedia:
thankswhat's required to become a ceo? what degree do they have?
PowerIso
Oct25-07, 10:24 AM
P: 329
Quote Quote by En_lizard View Post
thankswhat's required to become a ceo? what degree do they have?
Oddly enough, I think most ceo's have engineering degrees.
En_lizard
Oct25-07, 11:05 AM
P: 65
Quote Quote by PowerIso View Post
ok thanks. can i ask which engineering mostly?
RufusDawes
Oct25-07, 11:08 AM
P: 163
I've heard dentistry is like a license to print money

Basically to be rich you need to make lots of money when you're young and invest it so it makes a lot when you're older.
J77
Oct25-07, 12:22 PM
P: 1,157
Quote Quote by En_lizard View Post
ok thanks. can i ask which engineering mostly?
I think you're missing the point that to become a ""CEO" you need to work your way up a company, any company.

If you want to go for a degree which will lead to a specific job, like I said in my previous post, I'd go for "Civil Engineering".

However, you should base any educational decision on your skills; ie. what you're best at, or are intersted in.

(I add the last bit because you may show some interest in law, which at school you may not be aware of.)
Poop-Loops
Oct26-07, 12:05 AM
P: 863
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
cheating the american public and becoming president with a minority of the votes and skewing billions of tax dollars to ones friends' companies seems lucrative, at least recently, all the while pretending to be religious. but you have to expect eventually to burn in hell.
You also get a nice $400k/year bonus and government sponsored health care (Wait... I thought that was bad?). Private jet, celebrity status, body guards, etc.
Poop-Loops
Oct26-07, 12:10 AM
P: 863
Quote Quote by J77 View Post
I think you're missing the point that to become a ""CEO" you need to work your way up a company, any company.
Or start one.
danago
Oct26-07, 02:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,132
I think actuaries are known to generally work their way up the ranks in a company (or so ive heard).
Locrian
Oct26-07, 08:54 AM
P: 1,695
Quote Quote by PowerIso View Post
I do not think this is true. Can you give some evidence that it is so?
PowerIso
Oct26-07, 11:24 AM
P: 329
I probably should've said the most common degree is engineering.

http://content.spencerstuart.com/ssw...#nameddest=edu
Locrian
Oct26-07, 03:18 PM
P: 1,695
Still, I'm surprised at that. Thanks for posting the link!

Looks like only a third of CEO's have an MBA. Of course, that's the largest percentage of any one particular degree (but it's also possible to have both that and another, such as engineering).

It's also interesting though to note the change in percentage of business admin and engineering CEO's as your move from the top of the S&P500 to the bottom.

Register to reply