How Hard is it to find a research job with a Master's degree in Physics?

In summary: I think you would be better off obtaining a degree in engineering or physics, and then doing research as a post-graduate.
Menna_Ali
Hello everyone, ever since I was little I wanted to go into the research field, I have a bachelor degree in physics but I actually wanted to major in engineering because I am more of a doer and I enjoy experimenting with things on hand, but I had to major in physics because in my country (Egypt) my score in high school couldn't get me to an engineering school.

to be honest, I think I am not that good at physics, I relied more on the mathematics that I know to get through college but I didn't really have a good grasp of the physical notion of things, Also I always had the problem with the courses that I studied in my major that I don't apply any of the theories that I take. I searched around to find majors that could combine physics and engineering and found two majors which are engineering physics and applied physics.

my question is does having a master's in applied physics or engineering physics can land me a job in research and is it really hard to land a job in research? , and what other jobs can these master's degrees provide me, giving that I might want to later do my Ph.D. but I don't want to be a professor or a teacher.
Also, what other advice that you can give me to help me land a job in research

Physics news on Phys.org
A job directing your own research program? For all intents and purposes, impossible. (I am sure someone will pipe in with an exception from 100 years ago)

Any job? Sure. But I don't think that's what you mean.

You certainly won't qualify to head any research program with only a Master's degree. First there will be a supposition that you perhaps didn't have the horsepower to get a PhD. I think getting a Master's is usually not a good plan.
If you have an undergrad degree, get the most interesting job you can find and reassess after two years..

Likes russ_watters and Delta2
hutchphd said:
You certainly won't qualify to head any research program with only a Master's degree. First there will be a supposition that you perhaps didn't have the horsepower to get a PhD. I think getting a Master's is usually not a good plan.
If you have an undergrad degree, get the most interesting job you can find and reassess after two years..
Thank you for replying to me, I am have worked several jobs since I graduated in 2017 I am now working as a teacher but I don't like at all and wanted to get a job may be as a research assistant

I guess the question becomes one of saleable skills and income requirements and desire.. Do you want to do "hands on" activities? Are you mechanically adept? Do you want to learn more? Its not clear what you really want...seems like the first question to answer.

hutchphd said:
I guess the question becomes one of saleable skills and income requirements and desire.. Do you want to do "hands on" activities? Are you mechanically adept? Do you want to learn more? Its not clear what you really want...seems like the first question to answer.
I want to do applications and I don't like theories, I want to learn more for sure. but I am not sure which direction to take what masters to apply to. I like programming and electronics but I am not sure which master's program I can apply to would have that other than electrical engineering but I don't have a background in EE.

Last edited:
OP: In this thread, you've identified yourself as being in Egypt. In another thread, you expressed interest in engineering physics master's programs in Germany. You need to be careful. Career opportunities, and suitable degree requirements, will vary greatly with location. Also, it's not clear to me what you consider "research", when you make statements such as "but I actually wanted to major in engineering because I am more of a doer and I enjoy experimenting with things on hand" and "I want to do applications and I don't like theories".

Likes Vanadium 50

1. How competitive is the job market for research positions with a Master's degree in Physics?

The job market for research positions with a Master's degree in Physics can be highly competitive. There are often more applicants than available positions, and candidates with a strong research background and relevant experience may have an advantage.

2. What types of research positions are available for those with a Master's degree in Physics?

There are a variety of research positions available for individuals with a Master's degree in Physics. These may include roles in academia, government agencies, private research institutions, and industry. Some common areas of research include astrophysics, biophysics, material science, and nuclear physics.

3. Do I need a PhD to find a research job in physics?

While a PhD may be required for some advanced research positions, there are still many opportunities for individuals with a Master's degree in Physics. It is important to have a strong research background and relevant experience to be competitive in the job market.

4. What skills and qualifications are employers looking for in research candidates with a Master's degree in Physics?

Employers often look for candidates with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics principles. In addition, experience with research methods and techniques, data analysis, and computer programming may also be desired.

5. Are there any additional steps I can take to improve my chances of finding a research job with a Master's degree in Physics?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to improve your chances of finding a research job with a Master's degree in Physics. These may include networking with professionals in your field, gaining relevant experience through internships or research assistantships, and staying up-to-date with current research trends and technologies.