Register to reply

COMMUNITY College.....?

by godwinscareer
Tags: college, community
Share this thread:
godwinscareer
Dec22-07, 02:10 PM
P: 27
If you start at a community college, is it possible to transfer to a top ranked university??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Asphodel
Dec22-07, 02:46 PM
P: 451
Sure. That's rather the point?
G01
Dec22-07, 02:55 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Yes it is. Make sure you work hard and really understand what your studying and you should be fine.

godwinscareer
Dec22-07, 03:46 PM
COMMUNITY College.....?

say i go to a cc in Illinois, will universities from other states still consider my application.
godwinscareer
Dec22-07, 03:48 PM
I have also been accepted by a universitiy in Illinois (SIUC).
Which would be a better choice????
P.S I am and INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
leon1127
Dec22-07, 03:51 PM
P: 487
Yes, it is possible. I knew someone who started in local community college. Now she is in grad school at Harvard.

The question is "does community college prepare student for top ranked college?"
Asphodel
Dec22-07, 06:00 PM
Quote Quote by godwinscareer View Post
say i go to a cc in Illinois, will universities from other states still consider my application.
Sure.

Quote Quote by godwinscareer View Post
I have also been accepted by a universitiy in Illinois (SIUC).
Which would be a better choice????
P.S I am and INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
There are benefits to starting out at a full university (for anyone, possibly more so since you're an international student). In exchange, it usually costs more. The choice here depends on your own financial situation.
G01
Dec23-07, 11:42 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Quote Quote by leon1127 View Post

The question is "does community college prepare student for top ranked college?"
As usual with a question like this, the answer is that it depends on the school. As there are good universities and crappy ones. There are also good and crappy community colleges.

The best advice I can give is to put your learning under your control whenever possible. The more you control your education, the less a bad calculus professor or a bad physics program is going to affect you. Obviously, it can't hurt going to one of the better community colleges, but if you take it upon yourself to make sure that you learn the material, it shouldn't matter in the end. Go the extra mile, study that chapter your professor skipped in lecture, and do that harder problem that wasn't assigned. If you have an attitude that let's you go that extra step, then you will be better off in all stages of your education and career.
rocomath
Dec25-07, 03:35 PM
P: 1,756
With the right attitude and vision, you can make it anywhere.
Holocene
Dec25-07, 05:23 PM
P: 231
Quote Quote by rocophysics View Post
With the right attitude and vision, you can make it anywhere.
As long as you have the money.
rocomath
Dec25-07, 05:47 PM
Quote Quote by Holocene View Post
True that!
huckmank
Dec25-07, 07:45 PM
P: 101
Quote Quote by Holocene View Post
Or a government willing to give you grants and interest differed loans and private organizations willing to part with scholarships.

I'm dirt poor and I've made it most of the way through a top 10 engineering school (first year and a half at a CC) and because of Pell Grants and scholarships I've yet to have to pay any of my tuition. I've had to take out 15k in loans for living expenses and books, but tuition has been fully covered and then some.

Money is nice and all, but it's not needed to succeed in this society.
Feldoh
Dec25-07, 11:27 PM
P: 1,345
Quote Quote by huckmank View Post
Money is nice and all, but it's not needed to succeed in this society.
You said you had to take out 15k in loans, and food/water is sorta needed. Well you know, if you like living...
rocomath
Dec25-07, 11:31 PM
I like money :-]
huckmank
Dec26-07, 09:35 AM
P: 101
Quote Quote by Feldoh View Post
You said you had to take out 15k in loans, and food/water is sorta needed. Well you know, if you like living...
The quote I was responding to was "As long as you HAVE the money." I don't have the money currently; I'm being loaned the money, interest deferred, by my government. Of course one needs money in a capitalist society. My point, and I think you knew this, was that you don't necessarily need to come from money to get a top-tier education in America.
godwinscareer
Dec27-07, 04:26 AM
But I read many university sites and they accept transfer students from community colleges which are there in their state. Is it hard to transfer to other states?
Asphodel
Dec27-07, 08:42 AM
Harder in that it's more work - for starters, they get fewer students from there so they don't have established course equivalences. Probably not harder to get accepted.
ebaywannabe
Dec27-07, 06:01 PM
P: 17
It's definitely more difficult for an out-of-state student to transfer to a UC campus. California community college students have the top priority, the system is set up that way.

Register to reply