Similarities in College Physics 1301 and University Physics 2425

In summary: Best,In summary, the two classes are very similar. The only difference is that the calculus-based course will be more difficult, because it requires knowledge of calculus.
L1ght
I'm completing College (Trig-based) Physics 1301 this week and enrolled in University (Calculus-based) Physics this January. I'm also taking Calculus 1 in parallel.

My question is: How similar / different are the two classes, besides 2425 being Calculus based ?
Will 2425 (University Physics 1) be covering mostly the same material such as kinematics, vectors, conservation laws, collisions, torque & equilibrium, rotational kinematics, etc...just a little tougher by adding another dimension and requiring Cal ?
Will I be ahead of the game a little or will they be covering all new material and will it be a lot tougher ?
I'm carrying an A (95) in Pre-cal.

I'm a 55 year old going back to school for a degree in Physics, transferring from Community college to University this Spring.
Thanks for any insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Course numbers are not universal.

The course description will answer your question, but if you are planning on a physics degree, you want the calculus-based one.

Likes PhDeezNutz
L1ght said:
I'm a 55 year old going back to school for a degree in Physics
What do you intend to do with this degree?

I agree with V50 that the calculus-based course is the one that will "count". All the other courses in a physics bachelor's degree assume that you've had a calculus-based intro course, and of course a sequence of calculus courses. Having taken a trig-based physics course may well make the calculus-based course a bit easier, because the general subject matter overlaps a lot, although at different levels of sophistication. I did trig-based physics in high school, then calculus-based physics in my freshman year of college.

L1ght said:
I'm completing College (Trig-based) Physics 1301 this week and enrolled in University (Calculus-based) Physics this January. I'm also taking Calculus 1 in parallel.

My question is: How similar / different are the two classes, besides 2425 being Calculus based ?
Will 2425 (University Physics 1) be covering mostly the same material such as kinematics, vectors, conservation laws, collisions, torque & equilibrium, rotational kinematics, etc...just a little tougher by adding another dimension and requiring Cal ?
Will I be ahead of the game a little or will they be covering all new material and will it be a lot tougher ?
I'm carrying an A (95) in Pre-cal.

I'm a 55 year old going back to school for a degree in Physics, transferring from Community college to University this Spring.
Thanks for any insight.
its pretty much the same. except for a few new things. ie., mostly the derivations, if they are done, will require things like understanding the definition of a limit, definition of derivative, some simple derivatives/integrals. The calculus is used intuitively more than anything, a bit superficial. The only exception, is if this is an honors based course. The main math used will still be trigonometry.

You can always see what book the university is using by looking the course on the online bookstore. Buy it early, and have a look at it.

1. What are the main similarities between College Physics 1301 and University Physics 2425?

Both courses cover the fundamental principles of physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. They also both involve a combination of lectures, labs, and problem-solving exercises.

2. Are the course materials and textbooks the same for both College Physics 1301 and University Physics 2425?

It depends on the specific institution and professor. While the overall topics covered may be similar, the specific materials and textbooks used may vary. It is best to check with your professor or the course syllabus for the most accurate information.

3. Do the courses have the same level of difficulty?

Again, this can vary depending on the institution and professor. In general, University Physics 2425 is considered to be a more advanced and rigorous course compared to College Physics 1301. However, the difficulty level can also depend on the individual student's background and preparation.

4. Can I take College Physics 1301 and University Physics 2425 at the same time?

It is not recommended to take both courses simultaneously, as they cover similar topics and may cause confusion. It is best to focus on one course at a time to fully understand the material and perform well in both courses.

5. Are the labs and experiments the same in both College Physics 1301 and University Physics 2425?

The labs and experiments may cover similar concepts, but they may differ in terms of complexity and depth. University Physics 2425 may have more advanced and challenging labs compared to College Physics 1301. It is best to consult with your professor for more specific information about the labs in each course.