HW Helper
P: 2,279
Congrats Leright!!
leright
Feb18-08, 11:52 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by Cyclovenom View Post
Congrats Leright!!
thanks man! still crossing my fingers about the funding situation though.
Oerg
Feb24-08, 01:41 PM
P: 364
bump! Would relaly like to know the outcome of your applications
leright
Feb24-08, 09:06 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by Oerg View Post
bump! Would relaly like to know the outcome of your applications
I got rejected from MIT. Other than that, I have no further news to provide.
kuahji
Feb24-08, 11:38 PM
P: 395
Reading all these threads makes me almost scared enough to change my major...
Mystic998
Feb25-08, 01:14 AM
P: 206
This thread is interesting. I remember my rejection letter from MIT. I should have framed it. Incidentally, for the people that applied to Texas' math program, don't worry too much. I got in, and compared to most of the people in the program I'm an idiot.
Ben Niehoff
Feb25-08, 01:41 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,587
I haven't yet received any official rejections, so I hope that means I'm on some internal waiting lists. Still, my only official acceptance so far is USC.
Oerg
Feb25-08, 08:02 AM
P: 364
Quote Quote by Mystic998 View Post
This thread is interesting. I remember my rejection letter from MIT. I should have framed it. Incidentally, for the people that applied to Texas' math program, don't worry too much. I got in, and compared to most of the people in the program I'm an idiot.
what was your rejection letter about ?
JasonJo
Feb25-08, 12:12 PM
P: 431
I really hope I get into Austin. I am getting a bunch of rejection letters. Even more alarming is that I am hearing that a lot of the schools I'm still waiting for have already made a bunch of admissions decisions.

Rejections:
MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Duke

Waiting to hear from but have already started making admissions:
UCSD, Berkeley, Rutgers, NYU (off thegradcafe.com)

Waiting to hear from:
Yale, Stanford, Texas, UPENN
Mystic998
Feb25-08, 05:42 PM
P: 206
Oh, it wasn't anything special. Just "we don't think MIT would suit you" or something along those lines. I just love how the rejection letters are so patronizing. As though I pinned all my hopes as a rather unremarkable math student on getting into a university that probably wouldn't even accept the top 5 mathematicians at the school I went to.
eastside00_99
Feb25-08, 05:54 PM
P: 234
I haven't heard anything new since acceptance to UIUC, but to be fair about four of the schools I applied start the admission process a little latter, USC never got my transcript, and I am probably not going to get into Duke and Rice. So, I don't really think it means all that much. I really want to hear about support for UIUC though, and it is taking a long time for them to let me know whether or not they are giving it to me.
JasonJo
Feb25-08, 11:53 PM
Is this for undergrad or grad?
wbclark
Feb26-08, 02:08 AM
P: 19
Duke (really really impressed me with the emphasis they place on geometry and physics)
I know one of the professors at the Duke center for geometry and theoretical physics, Ronen Plesser, and he is a very intelligent man with a wonderful gift for explanation.
JasonJo
Feb26-08, 10:07 AM
Quote Quote by wbclark View Post
I know one of the professors at the Duke center for geometry and theoretical physics, Ronen Plesser, and he is a very intelligent man with a wonderful gift for explanation.
Too bad they rejected me.
JasonJo
Feb27-08, 12:24 PM
It seems like every school is accepting a small class this year. I've heard it from Berkeley, UCSD, Penn, Cornell, etc.
eastside00_99
Feb27-08, 02:43 PM
I have been rejected by Duke. That wasn't all that big of a surprise though. I am now on a waiting list for a TA at UIUC. They say they won't know if they will give me support for a few more weeks. So, probably they want to see how many of the people they accepted with definite support decide to go there. Anyway, it would have been nice to go to duke because it is close to home, but I never really expected to be admitted anyway.
wbclark
Feb27-08, 03:16 PM
P: 19
Quote Quote by eastside00_99 View Post
I have been rejected by Duke. That wasn't all that big of a surprise though. I am now on a waiting list for a TA at UIUC. They say they won't know if they will give me support for a few more weeks. So, probably they want to see how many of the people they accepted with definite support decide to go there. Anyway, it would have been nice to go to duke because it is close to home, but I never really expected to be admitted anyway.
Where are you from? I lived in Durham and now I'm an undergrad at Chapel Hill.
eastside00_99
Feb27-08, 03:59 PM
I grew up in sanford and I am an undergrad at NC State.

Register to reply