Energy output of Sun?

by Holocene
Tags: energy, output
Holocene
Mar21-08, 07:42 PM
P: 231
Obviously life on Earth must get energy from the Sun. But MOST of the Suns energy must be radiating out into space, pretty much "wasted" from our perspective.

So, my question is, about how much energy do you figure the sun produces per second? What sort of things on Earth could be powered, and for how long, if at its disposal was all of the energy the sun could produce in just one second?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists pinpoint when harmless bacteria became flesh-eating monsters
Asian air pollution affect Pacific Ocean storms
Rocket leak delays space station delivery launch (Update)
genneth
Mar21-08, 08:04 PM
P: 981
I suggest putting into google the term (in quotes) "luminosity of the sun". It's something the astronomers have spent a good deal of time in measuring.
Astronuc
Mar21-08, 09:01 PM
Admin
P: 21,625
Here's one estimate -

3.846 1026 watts, or 3.846 1033 ergs/sec.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...t/sunfact.html

Compare that to the largest power plant have total energy generation of 3-5 GW.

DaveC426913
Mar21-08, 10:50 PM
P: 15,325

Energy output of Sun?

Quote Quote by Holocene View Post
Obviously life on Earth must get energy from the Sun. But MOST of the Suns energy must be radiating out into space, pretty much "wasted" from our perspective.

So, my question is, about how much energy do you figure the sun produces per second? What sort of things on Earth could be powered, and for how long, if at its disposal was all of the energy the sun could produce in just one second?
I dunno, but the Global Warming Militants would have fits of apoplexy...
Ken G
Mar22-08, 10:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,069
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Here's one estimate -

3.846 1026 watts, or 3.846 1033 ergs/sec.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...t/sunfact.html

Compare that to the largest power plant have total energy generation of 3-5 GW.
Note that works out to over ten million such power plants per human on Earth. The cross section of the Earth intercepts less than a billionth of the Sun's energy, but that's still one such power plant for every few hundred humans. Accessing that energy efficiently is another matter...
ray b
Mar22-08, 02:33 PM
P: 428
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Register to reply