Register to reply

Voltage regulator

by ACLerok
Tags: regulator, voltage
Share this thread:
ACLerok
Mar30-08, 03:33 AM
P: 202
This may be a dumb question but I guess it won't hurt to ask. Is there a reason to use a voltage regulator to obtain a lower voltage from a certain set power supply voltage over using a voltage divider? I guess I'm talking low voltage applications in circuits not high power electronics.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
N468989
Mar30-08, 07:54 AM
P: 82
the output of a voltage regulator is "independente" of its input, thus keeping the voltage constant for any input, on the other hand the voltage divider will change its output once the input voltage changes.
Mike Phan
Apr1-08, 10:58 AM
P: 67
if using a voltage divider, make sure that your application current is NOT higher than that of the voltage divider. some devices are fixed voltage regulators, others are adjustable voltage regulators. for example, 7805 is fixed 5V regultor, LT1074 is adjustable voltage regulator from which we can bias to have our desire output voltages.

berkeman
Apr1-08, 11:49 AM
Mentor
P: 40,676
Voltage regulator

So to summarize, the voltage regulator holds a fixed output voltage, independent of Vin variations, and independent of Iout variations (within datasheet specifications for the regulator, of course).

Register to reply