Online Discussion: The End of the World in 2012?

• Thread starter tkitchen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of the end of the world in 2012. Some believe that it will happen due to events such as pole shifts or the Mayan calendar, but others dismiss these claims as nonsense. There is no scientific evidence to support these theories and it is likely just a way for people to gain attention and sell books. The idea of a spiritual awakening or being raised to a higher dimension is also mentioned, but is not taken seriously. The discussion ultimately concludes that there is no reason to believe that the world will end in 2012 or that any significant changes will occur. The conversation is deemed not worth wasting time on and is considered a hoax.
tkitchen
I pose the question of why some are saying the end of the world is in 2012? some say we will flip, others say the north pole will fall to the side (becoming the new equator). Dave suggested i bring my question online to discuss.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
They are talking rubbish.

There is nothing to discuss unless you bring an extraordinary reason why these extraordinary events may happen.

We could of course blow ourselves up by 2012 or earlier, how is it looking so far? But this would have nothing to do with astronomy.

An asteroid could hit the Earth in 2012, but there is no evidence so far that any such thing is going to happen.
Garth

Well to be honest, I think the only thing the 2012 Mayan thing will accomplish is, not ending the world , not ‘flipping poles, not removing the Earth from it’s orbit or any of the other disaster predicated
But it will certainly sell books and give others their 15 minutes of fame. As we get close to 2012 I am afraid this will gather much more importance than it deserves.

Basically most of the terms I have heard of this ‘event’ are spiritual awareness, harmonic convergence (what ever that is suppose to be), new age and such.

Another thought used “Sun conjuncts the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic”. Wow! big deal. I have been an amateur astronomer for almost 40 years not. I can assure you this will not ‘take out the earth’.

Some scholars have been attempting to correlate the Long Count with our Western Gregorian calendar, since the beginning of this century and it is really not working out too well

There are some astronomers that will argue the correlation of the Tzolkin Mayan calander and our calendar simply do not align in 2012.

One thing I can almost assure is that in 2013 they will be looking forward the next cataclysmic event.

I very much apologize to you for my shortened version, but it is a long story and really not worth wasting the time on.

Last edited:
Waveform said:
Basically most of the terms I have heard of this ‘event’ are spiritual awareness, harmonic convergence (what ever that is suppose to be), new age and such.

Don't forget being raised to a higher dimension and/or going to a higher frequency.

(When I hear such things I always want to ask them if that means having to choose an additional basis vector and/or if this affects the color of the photons they're emitting, but they probably wouldn't understand anyway).

Last edited:
How long do you think it will take the axis to change to its original position? I've read that it's original position was where the north pole was equal to the equator at one time, and become off balance. I understand that it has already started, and I didnt notice any significant changes.

I had a co-worker ask me what I thought of "esoteric agenda" I've never heard of it. Have any of you? if so, what's your thoughts?

When scientists talk about the "pole flip", it is the magnetic poles, not the geographic ones. We are believed to be in the midst of such an event now and it will take another hundred thousand years or so, so don't go selling your compass quite yet. There isn't much that is terribly troubling about it except that we'll need to shield our satellites better as the Earth's magnetic field slowly collapses.

Anyway, the Mayan calendar issue is a pure hoax. Even little factoids such as the crossing of the galactic plane - which people tend to accept for some reason - are simply fabrications. Here's a recent thread on that particular factoid: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=208935&highlight=mayan+calendar

Please just think about it: the idea that the world would end when your calendar flips over next December 31st is just plain silly. Why give any more meaning to the flipping of the Mayan calendar just because it takes longer to flip?

Since there really aren't any actual issues to discuss here, there isn't anything to be gained by keeping the thread open.

Last edited:

1. What is the theory behind the end of the world in 2012?

The theory behind the end of the world in 2012 is based on the ancient Mayan calendar, which some believe predicts a catastrophic event on December 21, 2012. This date marks the end of a 5,126-year-long cycle in the Mayan calendar, known as the Long Count.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this theory?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the world will end in 2012. Scientists have extensively studied the Mayan calendar and have found no evidence to suggest that it predicts a global catastrophe. Additionally, there is no scientific basis for the idea of a sudden and catastrophic event occurring on a specific date.

3. What do scientists say about the end of the world in 2012?

Scientists have dismissed the idea of the world ending in 2012 as a myth. They argue that the ancient Mayan calendar is simply reaching the end of a cycle and that there is no reason to believe that this signifies an apocalyptic event. Most scientists view the end of the world in 2012 as a pseudoscientific claim.

4. Are there any other events that could potentially lead to the end of the world?

While there are no known events that could bring about the end of the world, there are natural disasters and human-caused catastrophes that could have devastating effects on humanity. These include things like climate change, nuclear war, and pandemics. However, predicting the end of the world is impossible, and it is important to focus on addressing and preventing these potential crises.

5. How should we respond to claims about the end of the world in 2012?

It is important to critically evaluate any claims about the end of the world, especially those without scientific evidence. Instead of panicking or spreading misinformation, we should trust in the scientific community and continue to seek knowledge and understanding about the world around us. It is also important to focus on addressing real and current issues that could potentially lead to global catastrophes, rather than worrying about unfounded predictions.