Register to reply

Battery supercapacitor hybrid design

by tattee
Tags: battery, design, hybrid, supercapacitor
Share this thread:
tattee
Apr8-08, 01:09 PM
P: 1
hello! i would like to ask for your opinions. i have tried using supercapacitor in my circuit to prolong its battery run-time. I have attached a simple circuit design for your reference.

the problem is that the load drains the supercapacitor faster than the battery charging the supercap. the result is that the load runs out of power and restarts. is there a way we can limit the consumption of the load or increase the speed of charging time of the battery?

thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp aaaa.bmp (100.6 KB, 60 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
capthook
Apr8-08, 04:04 PM
P: 13
This thread a few down may help:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=227148

I have decide to purchase this chip from LT as it an IC with all the components pre-assembled over a standard buck-converter. The exact model is because I require a very LOW power consumption. You are sure to find a step-down buck converter to suit your needs from LT.

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDeta...3,C1424,P39256

CH
NoTime
Apr9-08, 12:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
Quote Quote by tattee View Post
hello! i would like to ask for your opinions. i have tried using supercapacitor in my circuit to prolong its battery run-time. I have attached a simple circuit design for your reference.

the problem is that the load drains the supercapacitor faster than the battery charging the supercap. the result is that the load runs out of power and restarts. is there a way we can limit the consumption of the load or increase the speed of charging time of the battery?

thank you!
If I understand your question, then your battery has too much internal resistance for the load.
You need to select a battery that can accommodate the average current.
The supercap may or may not extend the battery life depending on the load specifications.

Register to reply