Register to reply

Island universe eventually true?

by Loren Booda
Tags: eventually, island universe
Share this thread:
Loren Booda
Apr28-08, 10:55 PM
P: 3,408
With the acceleration of the universe outward, will our universal horizon eventually be reduced to include only the local neighborhood of the Milky Way, an island universe, whose concept predates Hubble's discovery of linear universal expansion?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Planetary Society hopes tiny satellite sets sail above Earth
Tidal forces gave moon its shape, according to new analysis
Young binary star system may form planets with weird and wild orbits
Nabeshin
Apr28-08, 11:02 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Yes.
sysreset
Apr28-08, 11:12 PM
P: 131
Wait..... I thought that gravitationally bound systems do not experience Hubble expansion. The Milky Way is gravitationally bound to the Andromeda galaxy (the two galaxies are either orbiting each other or colliding). So our island will include Andromeda.... and the other galaxies of our local group....... no?

Wallace
Apr29-08, 07:12 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,253
Island universe eventually true?

I think it's an open question of exactly what objects are bound within the Local Group but yes in principle our little collection of galaxies will remain together forever, even once everything else in the Universe is too far away to see ever again.

Note that by this time all the galaxies in the Local Group will have merged together, probably resulting in a single large elliptical galaxy containing the mixed up remains of the Milly Way, Andromeda, the Magellanic clouds and a host of other nearby dwarf galaxies.
Nabeshin
Apr29-08, 07:44 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
There was an interesting article on this subject in popular science magazine (I think). It talked a little about how we live at a somewhat privileged time because we're at an era where we can discern the origin and nature of the universe through telescopic observations. Any later, the article stated, and we would become an island universe and thus unable to observe even expansion. Interesting stuff, although I do believe they ruled out gravitational binding of objects, because it talked about how the milky way would eventually split up.
Loren Booda
Apr29-08, 11:50 PM
P: 3,408
George,

Thank you. The SciAm article is where I must have gotten my idea.

Register to reply