Register to reply

Equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter

by Ed Aboud
Tags: amounts, antimatter, equal, matter
Share this thread:
Ed Aboud
May8-08, 11:32 AM
P: 201
I heard once somewhere that in the early days of the universe there was equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter. What confuses me alot is how come pair annihilation didn't occur between all the matter and antimatter to produce a universe just filled with gamma rays? And how come there is a surplus of 'normal' matter now? Any light on this topic would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
After early troubles, all go for Milky Way telescope
Prospects for the 2014 Perseids
malawi_glenn
May8-08, 11:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
Not exaclty equal amounts. This is an important issue in modern particle physics, and one thinks that CP-violation (if i rememeber correctly) can be one of the solutions why there was more matter than antimatter in the early universe.

you can google "matter antimatter asymmetry" and similar. If you find something interresting, which you don't understand, ask here in PF again.
mathman
May8-08, 04:22 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,039
Quote Quote by Ed Aboud View Post
I heard once somewhere that in the early days of the universe there was equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter. What confuses me alot is how come pair annihilation didn't occur between all the matter and antimatter to produce a universe just filled with gamma rays? And how come there is a surplus of 'normal' matter now? Any light on this topic would be greatly appreciated thanks.
The question you are raising is still one of the unsolved problems of modern physics. The CP-violation is a qualitative explanation, but the details are still unknown.

Register to reply