cross section

by randa177
Tags: cross
randa177
May18-08, 02:10 PM
P: 91
why is the cross section of photon - proton less than the electron- photon cross section for the same photon energy??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
humanino
May18-08, 04:12 PM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by randa177 View Post
why is the cross section of photon - proton less than the electron- photon cross section for the same photon energy??
Because the photon does not carry electric charge ?
randa177
May18-08, 04:37 PM
P: 91
I don't understand how is that answer related to my question??

humanino
May18-08, 05:07 PM
P: 2,828

cross section

Quote Quote by randa177 View Post
I don't understand how is that answer related to my question??
Well, the proton carries electric charge, and the electron carries electric charge as well, so they interact by exchanging a virtual photon (say for instance in the lowest order appriximation). I guess you are asking about a real photon. How a real photon interacts with a proton depends on the energy of course. At energies around the proton mass and/or QCD scale (which I guess is your question, since ultra-high energy photons can not be produced easily) you can effectively describe the proton-photon interaction by the photon hadronic content, wich fluctuates say in a vector meson (or such hadronic configuration with the right quantum numbers). This is Regge calculus. So you need you photon to fluctuate into something else before interaction. You expect that this is going to considerably reduce your cross section.
genneth
May19-08, 03:03 PM
P: 981
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
Well, the proton carries electric charge, and the electron carries electric charge as well, so they interact by exchanging a virtual photon (say for instance in the lowest order appriximation). I guess you are asking about a real photon. How a real photon interacts with a proton depends on the energy of course. At energies around the proton mass and/or QCD scale (which I guess is your question, since ultra-high energy photons can not be produced easily) you can effectively describe the proton-photon interaction by the photon hadronic content, wich fluctuates say in a vector meson (or such hadronic configuration with the right quantum numbers). This is Regge calculus. So you need you photon to fluctuate into something else before interaction. You expect that this is going to considerably reduce your cross section.
Err, I think you're over complicating this... The most elementary scattering cross-section calculations for photon-electron and photon-proton is the Thompson scattering cross-section. That formula has an inverse mass dependence. Classically, the reason is that the heavier particle does not move as much --- it doesn't polarise as easily.
daschaich
May20-08, 05:10 PM
P: 200
It might help to know what energy scale we're considering here. At low photon energies, genneth's explanation could be on the right track, while if the photon has enough energy that we could consider it interacting with a particular quark, we would automatically reduce the coupling by a factor of 1/3 to 2/3.

Register to reply