Register to reply

Loop Quantum Gravity/Cosmology ~ for the layman?

by g33kski11z
Tags: gravity or cosmology, layman, loop, quantum
Share this thread:
g33kski11z
Jun19-08, 11:13 PM
P: 93
I've read Brian Greene's "Elegant Universe" and most of Lee Smolin's "The trouble with Physics". I found them both to be decent books. Honestly, I like them because they did not go to in depth with any math. I've read other misc papers that have been posted here at PF, but some of those equations make my head hurt. I really like how Greene explained the basics of string theory but, I haven't seen anything that was a LQG/C book/article for the layperson.

Is there anything that is available? free or not..
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
marcus
Jun20-08, 12:12 AM
Astronomy
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 23,114
No there isn't! It is a big gap. Someone needs to write that kind of nonmathematical book.

You can always check at Abhay Ashtekar's personal website. He is currently the main leader in Loop Quantum Cosmology.
At his website he has links to popularizations (illustrated magazine articles) and what he calls "semipopular" writing.

some of the stuff at Ashtekar's website is about LQG (the full theory) and some is about LQC (the specialized application to cosmology, resolving the big bang into a big bounce).
We should sift thru it. Some is likely to be several years old. I don't know of anything that is perfect.

I just looked at Ashtekar's site
http://cgpg.gravity.psu.edu/people/A.../articles.html
and didn't see anything I especially liked in the "semipopular" articles list
He is probably too busy to update the collection of links.
g33kski11z
Jun20-08, 01:05 AM
Quote Quote by marcus View Post
Someone needs to write that kind of non mathematical book.
So, what are you doing over the next 6 months..
But seriously, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I also saw your thread with Singh's video.
I guess I'll be starting there..
Quote Quote by marcus View Post
..some of the stuff at Ashtekar's website is about LQG (the full theory) and some is about LQC (the specialized application to cosmology, resolving the big bang into a big bounce)...
Ok, I'm sure this is totally basic to you but, what is the difference between LQG & LQC. I'm assuming these are not about strings, but "loops" of some type? Working from that assumption, how does this make the big bang a bounce? Does that imply a "repeating or bouncing" universe of some sort? Is this the leading TOE candidate? .. sorry for my noobishness.

cristo
Jun20-08, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 8,308
Loop Quantum Gravity/Cosmology ~ for the layman?

Quote Quote by g33kski11z View Post
Ok, I'm sure this is totally basic to you but, what is the difference between LQG & LQC.
Loop Quantum Gravity is a potential theory of gravity, whereas Loop Quantum Cosmology is the cosmology coming from such a theory (in the same way that string/braneworld cosmology has its foundations in string theory).

I'm moving this to Beyond the Standard Model, since it is better suited there.
g33kski11z
Jun20-08, 03:33 PM
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
Loop Quantum Gravity is a potential theory of gravity, whereas Loop Quantum Cosmology is the cosmology coming from such a theory.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. So, is my assumption about "loops" as opposed to "strings" correct?
dx
Jun20-08, 04:50 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,961
Actually there is a book that talks about LQG at a popular level: "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity" by Lee Smolin.

Register to reply