Register to reply

Is this inequality true and provable?

by 3029298
Tags: inequality, integral, mathematics, proof
Share this thread:
Aug8-08, 02:06 PM
P: 57
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
My question is whether the following inequality can be proven.

2. Relevant equations
[tex]
\left|\int_a^bg\left(x\right)dx-\int_a^bh\left(x\right)dx\right|\leq\int_a^b\left|g\left(x\right)-h\left(x\right)\right|dx
[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried to write down the inequality in the form of it's primitives, where [tex]G\left(x\right)[/tex] is the primitive of [tex]g\left(x\right)[/tex] and [tex]H\left(x\right)[/tex] is the primitive of [tex]h\left(x\right)[/tex]. The inequality then becomes:

[tex]
\left|G\left(b\right)-G\left(a\right)-H\left(b\right)+H\left(a\right)\right|\leq\left|G\left(b\right)-H\left(b\right)\right|-\left|G\left(a\right)-H\left(a\right)\right|
[/tex]

But what next, or are there other means of getting a proof?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
snipez90
Aug8-08, 02:59 PM
P: 1,104
Assuming [tex] a \leq b [/tex] and f is continuous on the interval [a,b], then

[tex] \left|\int_a^bf\left(x\right)dx \right| \leq \int_a^b\left|f(x)\right|dx[/tex]

which follows from the fact that [tex] f(x) \leq \left|f(x)\right| [/tex] and [tex] -f(x) \leq \left|f(x)\right| [/tex] and that

If f,g are both continuous on the interval [a,b] and [tex] f(x) \leq g(x) [/tex] for all x in the interval. Then

[tex] \int_a^b f(x)dx \leq \int_a^b g(x)dx [/tex]

Rearranging and using the first inequality should give you the desired inequality.
Aug8-08, 03:08 PM
P: 57
Oh, I see it now, it is indeed not that difficult.

[tex]
\left|\int_a^bg\left(x\right)dx-\int_a^bh\left(x\right)dx\right|\leq\int_a^b\left|g\left(x\right)-h\left(x\right)\right|dx
[/tex]

If we rearrange:

[tex]
\left|\int_a^b\left(g\left(x\right)-h\left(x\right)\right)dx\right|\leq\int_a^b\left|g\left(x\right)-h\left(x\right)\right|dx
[/tex]

Substituting [tex]f\left(x\right)=g\left(x\right)-h\left(x\right)[/tex] and using the first formula of snipez90, we get the proof.

Thanks!

Register to reply