On the ratio test for power series

schniefen
Homework Statement
I have a question about a proof of the ratio test for power series.
Relevant Equations
The following definition is relevant. If the power series ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-c)^n## converges for ##|x-c|<R## and diverges for ##|x-c|>R##, then ##0\leq R\leq \infty## is called the radius of convergence of the power series.
In these lecture notes, there is the following theorem and proof:

Theorem 10.5. Suppose that ##a_n\neq0## for all sufficiently large ##n## and the limit $$R=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\right|$$ exists or diverges to infinity. Then the power series ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-c)^n## has radius of convergence ##R##.

Proof. Let $$r=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}(x-c)^{n+1}}{a_n(x-c)^n}\right|=|x-c|\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|.$$ By the ratio test, the power series converges if ##0\leq r<1##, or ##|x-c|<R##, and diverges if ##1<r\leq\infty##, or ##|x-c|>R##, which proves the result.

I'm confused about "...the power series converges if ##0\leq r<1##, or ##|x-c|<R##...". In other words, why is ##|x-c|<R## equivalent to ##0\leq r<1##?

I guess the author reasons as follows. If $$R=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\right|,$$ then for ##0<R<\infty##, we have $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac1{\left|\frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}\right|}=\frac1{R}.\tag1$$ So $$r=|x-c|\frac{1}{R}$$ and then clearly ##0\leq r<1## is equivalent to ##|x-c|<R##. But what about when ##R=0## and ##R=\infty##? Then ##(1)## is not defined/not valid. This confuses me and I'd be grateful for a comment or two.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is fairly easy to show from the definition of the limit of a sequence and the definition of a sequence diverging to [itex]+\infty[/itex] that [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = \infty\quad\Rightarrow\quad\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = 0[/tex] and [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = 0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = \infty.[/tex]

Likes schniefen
pasmith said:
It is fairly easy to show from the definition of the limit of a sequence and the definition of a sequence diverging to [itex]+\infty[/itex] that [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = \infty\quad\Rightarrow\quad\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = 0[/tex] and [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = 0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = \infty.[/tex]
Thank you for replying.

Ok, I guess in computing ##r## the author assumed ##x\neq c##. Because if ##R=0##, then, as you write, $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac1{\left|\frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}\right|}=\infty.$$ And so ##r=[|x-c|\cdot\infty]=\infty##, i.e. we have divergence of the power series for ##R=0## for all values of ##x\neq c##. Thanks!

1. What is the ratio test for power series?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a power series. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

2. How is the ratio test used to determine convergence?

The ratio test compares the size of consecutive terms in a power series to determine if the series is convergent or divergent. If the ratio of consecutive terms approaches a finite number less than 1, the series is convergent. If the ratio approaches a number greater than 1 or infinity, the series is divergent. If the ratio approaches 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

3. Can the ratio test be used for all power series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for power series with non-negative coefficients. It is also only applicable for determining absolute convergence, not conditional convergence.

4. What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

The ratio test and the root test are both methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. The main difference is that the ratio test compares consecutive terms, while the root test compares the nth root of the absolute value of the terms. The ratio test is generally considered easier to use, but the root test can be used in cases where the ratio test fails.

5. Can the ratio test be used to find the radius of convergence for a power series?

Yes, the ratio test can be used to find the radius of convergence for a power series. If the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, the radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest singularity. If the limit is greater than 1 or infinity, the radius of convergence is 0. If the limit is equal to 1, the radius of convergence must be found using another method.