by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: mccain, palin
Share this thread:
Vanadium 50
Aug29-08, 11:55 AM
Mentor
P: 16,204
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
McCain has made much of Obama's inexperience - now he's got someone younger with less experience on the ticket.
Well, I think there are at least two relevant differences - it's the #2 spot, not the #1 spot, and it's executive experience for an executive office.
LowlyPion
Aug29-08, 12:09 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,343
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
It's a pick surprising enough that it steals a little thunder from the Democratic Convention.
That's today's headlines. A rather dubious reason once it's yesterday's news.

Sadly that's the business as usual of the current Bush-Cheney-Rove administration and their reliance on appearance over substance, while they ply their agenda of enriching the few and denying the endemic problems of the rest of those they are nominally supposed to represent as well.
LowlyPion
Aug29-08, 12:19 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
McCain doesn't trust Romney one bit -
That's because he knows Romney. I'd say not picking Romney shows that he is capable of making good decisions. There's enough insincerity in Washington without having to import his brand of it.

There's no way they won't realize she is pro-life, ...
And she is a member of the NRA. Beauty queen, NRA, pro-life - a real trifecta. I suspect the Hilary crowd will not find enough to like when they get in the booth.

I'd say her choice is more to assuage the concerns of the far right on the moral agenda and to energize their participation as well as bolster his own appearance of sincerely in wanting to change things in Washington.
LowlyPion
Aug29-08, 12:21 PM
HW Helper
In Palin's defense, she's no Dan Quayle.

I reckon with 5 kids, she knows how to spell.
Astronuc
Aug29-08, 01:02 PM
Admin
P: 21,828
Quote Quote by Defennder View Post
My first thought was he's old enough to be her father. Why didn't he pick Sen Kay Bailey Huchinson instead?
See my comment - http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...&postcount=117

Interesting that he didn't pick Lisa Murkowski, who is the daughter of the former incumbent governor Frank Murkowski, who was beaten by Sarah Palin in 2006 gubernatorial election.

Apparently his appointment of his daughter as Alaska's junior US senator (in 2002) did not go over too well in Alaska.
proton
Aug29-08, 04:22 PM
P: 356
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Definitely good that he didn't pick up Romney! Romney was probably about the only possible VP pick from either party that could have swayed my opinion. .
Quote Quote by LowlyPion View Post
My opinion is that I think we should at least sleep better knowing that Mitt Romney has no prayer of ever becoming president.
whats wrong with Romney? i think that he would have been a better choice for mccain. or maybe not, just because hes mormon
Cyrus
Aug29-08, 04:40 PM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by proton View Post
whats wrong with Romney? i think that he would have been a better choice for mccain. or maybe not, just because hes mormon
Answered your own question.
Cyrus
Aug29-08, 04:44 PM
Who is this woman Palin anyways. I've never even heard of her before now. He picked her only because she's a woman. Probably so that he could take away some obama votes from hillary supporters. I struggle to believe that any of these women would vote for McCain just to put a woman in the white house, but then again the general public are morons.
out of whack
Aug29-08, 05:03 PM
P: 465
If it worked for Geena Davis...
lisab
Aug29-08, 05:04 PM
Mentor
P: 2,980
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Who is this woman Palin anyways. I've never even heard of her before now. He picked her only because she's a woman. Probably so that he could take away some obama votes from hillary supporters. I struggle to believe that any of these women would vote for McCain just to put a woman in the white house, but then again the general public are morons.
Yes, I agree, his choice had a sexist element to it. And some women (PUMAs, for example) will vote for McCain mostly because of her gender - they're also sexist.

Funny thing, when the struggle for gender equality began many men said women were too emotional, and couldn't be logical in a tough situation. And here we are all these years later, and these PUMAs are, well, too emotional and they aren't being logical after a tough loss, IMO.

I can only imagine how they will feel when the next 1, 2, or 3 Supreme Court nominees are chosen...
Cyrus
Aug29-08, 05:06 PM
Why don't we just elect a Black Atheist lesbian woman into office so we can finally put to rest all this PC nonsense.
Cyrus
Aug29-08, 05:08 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Yes, I agree, his choice had a sexist element to it. And some women (PUMAs, for example) will vote for McCain mostly because of her gender - they're also sexist.

Funny thing, when the struggle for gender equality began many men said women were too emotional, and couldn't be logical in a tough situation. And here we are all these years later, and these PUMAs are, well, too emotional and they aren't being logical after a tough loss, IMO.

I can only imagine how they will feel when the next 1, 2, or 3 Supreme Court nominees are chosen...
Why do they care so much? WHO CARES if the next supreme court justices have a penis.

Just put someone in there thats GOOD. What the hell do I care if hes black/white/gay/man/woman or any other STUPID criteria.

What's so great about her being a woman? Someone, anyone please give me a valid reason.
russ_watters
Aug29-08, 05:12 PM
Mentor
P: 22,252
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
I looked at the list of female governors - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States - and missed her. She's at the bottom of the list since she's the most recently elected.
I had my money on Christie Whitman of NJ.
russ_watters
Aug29-08, 05:14 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
McCain has made much of Obama's inexperience - now he's got someone younger with less experience on the ticket. Is he going to get a free pass on that just because of her gender?
I'm sure there will be a lot of talk about this, but there is very real, practical reason why experience matters less for her: she's the vicepresidential candidate.

Oh, and less experience than who, at what? Who has more experience between her and Obama depends on what political experience you choose to count. Overall, though, she's been in public office about twice as long as Obama has.
Cyrus
Aug29-08, 05:15 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
I'm sure there will be a lot of talk about this, but there is very real, practical reason why experience matters less for her: she's the vicepresidential candidate.
Why does that excuse not having experience? Do you want the guy one below the CEO not having any experience?

I want the best of the best of the best.

This is like the time G.W. tried to put that woman as a justice who had NO EXPERINCE in anything related to the law, and the congress was like......uh.......NO. Just being a woman isnt going to fly, dubya. (I think she was a school teacher or something rediculously stupid)
turbo
Aug29-08, 05:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
That's true, Russ, but it becomes a bit more of an issue when McCain's advanced age and his recurring battles with cancer figure in. She could easily become a very young, inexperienced president with no track record in national politics, foreign affairs, and macro-economics. A rookie governor from a sparsely-populated state with significant oil revenues might have a bit of trouble gearing up to running the executive branch of the US.
BobG
Aug29-08, 05:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by proton View Post
There's a certain amount of reconsideration of one's past positions done by every candidate when politically expedient, so Romney's downside is a matter of magnitude rather than conceptual. By time Romney was done with his transformation, I was left with the feeling he had no beliefs or principles at all.
russ_watters
Aug29-08, 05:22 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Why does that excuse not having experience?
I'm saying that makes experience less important than with the President.
Do you want the guy one below the CEO not having any experience?
I would absolutely expect a VP of a company to have less experience than a CEO. In fact, I'd hope the CEO was a VP first before being CEO! Since that's not as feasible for a President, the more common experience that is weighed heavily is governor, since it is executive branch experience.

Register to reply