Register to reply

Designing a parachute system/device

by Panic Attack
Tags: designing, parachute, system or device
Share this thread:
Panic Attack
Oct11-08, 10:48 AM
P: 14
I am trying to build a system to activate a servo at a unspecified point in time when a machine and remote looses their signal between another. When the signal is lost between the two, the new system must activate a servo. We are using radio transmitters, but I can't figure out how to tackle this problem. Any assistance would be LOVED!!!

The biggest problem I am having is how to link these three things together. I was thinking about using a sensor that monitors the 2-way signal between machine and remote with a LED, then the LED turns on or maybe stops the LED when the signal is lost, then activates the actuator... i don't know...

can i build a sensor that does this?

Should I buy transmiter and put it on the plane and connect the reciever to a circuit that activates the servo? Im trying to make this happen without me doing it manually. Does this make any sense? This project uses mechanical and electrical engineering components.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Topher925
Oct11-08, 11:15 AM
P: 1,672
What kind of radio system are you using? Most modern 2.4Ghz systems (I have one on my helicopter) have a fail safe mode built in. When the 2-way link between the transmitter and receiver are broken, the receiver goes into a fail safe mode where all servos go to a pre-specified position. I would simply just connect your servo that is activating the parachute into one of your spare channels and use the fail-safe function to set its desired positions.
Panic Attack
Oct13-08, 03:26 PM
P: 14
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
What kind of radio system are you using? Most modern 2.4Ghz systems (I have one on my helicopter) have a fail safe mode built in. When the 2-way link between the transmitter and receiver are broken, the receiver goes into a fail safe mode where all servos go to a pre-specified position. I would simply just connect your servo that is activating the parachute into one of your spare channels and use the fail-safe function to set its desired positions.
Its just a regular transmiter that communicates with remote. Your fail safe system sounds like what I am trying to make. But I have to "design" it for our platform. Its for school. the fail-safe function sounds perfect... i ll do a google search on "fail-safe systems" and see how to design one from assorted components. THANK YOU!!!

Register to reply