Crash Impact Sensors: How Do They Work in Airbag Systems?

In summary, the discussion is about crash impact sensors in airbag systems, specifically in regards to how they work and at what force they send signals to the airbag control unit. The possibility of incorporating these sensors into the rear bumper for activating an actuator in the headrest to prevent whiplash is also mentioned. Different types of crash sensors are discussed, including the use of rods and multiple accelerometers with a computer. Links to resources for more information on the topic are also provided.
kustomizer
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how does crash impact sensors work in an airbag system? Like, I want to know at what force does the sensors send the signals to the airbag control unit. And can these sensors be incorporated to the rear bumper as well? I am planning to incorporate this sensor for the activation of an actuator located in the headrest to prevent the whiplash effect. If anyone could guide me to some papers or explain me the sensor activation, it would have been helpful.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do crash impact sensors work?

Crash impact sensors, also known as accelerometers, are small devices that detect sudden changes in acceleration. They are typically placed in different areas of a vehicle, such as the front and sides, and are designed to trigger the deployment of airbags in the event of a crash. When a vehicle experiences a sudden impact, the sensors measure the force of the impact and send a signal to the airbag control unit, which then activates the airbags.

2. What types of crashes do crash impact sensors detect?

Crash impact sensors are designed to detect any type of impact that could result in significant damage to a vehicle or injury to the occupants. This includes head-on collisions, side impacts, and rear-end collisions. The sensors are also sensitive enough to detect smaller impacts, such as hitting a curb or pothole, but they are calibrated to only trigger the airbags in more severe crashes.

3. Can crash impact sensors be affected by weather conditions?

Crash impact sensors are designed to withstand a variety of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, humidity, and vibration. However, they may be affected by heavy rain or snow, which could potentially trigger a false signal. To prevent this, most sensors have a protective cover and are sealed to prevent water or debris from entering.

4. Do crash impact sensors need to be replaced after a crash?

In most cases, crash impact sensors do not need to be replaced after a crash. However, if the airbags were deployed, it is recommended to have them inspected by a professional to ensure they are still functioning properly. If a sensor is damaged or malfunctioning, it will need to be replaced to ensure the airbag system works correctly in the event of another crash.

5. Are crash impact sensors the only factor in airbag deployment?

No, crash impact sensors are just one component of the airbag system. Other factors, such as vehicle speed, angle of impact, and the position of the occupants, also play a role in determining when and how the airbags deploy. The airbag control unit takes into account all of these factors before triggering the airbags.