Is it too ammbitious for four freshmen to do this?

by PHYSICS!!!:-)
Tags: cyclotron, freshmen, particle accelerator, physics project, research
PHYSICS!!!:-)
Dec18-08, 05:19 AM
P: 14
Is it overly ambitious for four freshman to design and build a cyclotron, if neither of them have an advanced knowledge of physics? We are all hard workers, and can leanr quickly. We will be taking half a year to learnt he physics behind the cyclotron.
Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
Emreth
Dec18-08, 12:06 PM
P: 99
Yes it is. There are many safety issues that has to be addressed and it would cost a lot to build something that actually does something more than a crt tube. I think my main issue is it's not "cool" to build this stuff,it's stupid and pointless (my opinion, i'm not calling you those). So don't do it unless you have to. Why don't you build a thermal solar plant or something?
Astronuc
Dec18-08, 02:34 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by PHYSICS!!!:-) View Post
Is it overly ambitious for four freshman to design and build a cyclotron, if neither of them have an advanced knowledge of physics? We are all hard workers, and can leanr quickly. We will be taking half a year to learnt he physics behind the cyclotron.
Thanks!
As Emreth indicated, it's not about the challenge or hard work, it's all about safety, with potentially lethal voltages, strong magnetic fields, and radiation if one successfully contructs a working cyclotron.

If inexperienced people (4 freshman) are doing this, then do it under the supervision of experts in an proper environment (university or other reaseach lab).

In my nuclear engineering department, a professor and graduate students built a linear accelerator. There was a lot of overight and review for the faculty, university, and state officials, including the radiation protection staff and officials.

CRGreathouse
Dec18-08, 06:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,680

Is it too ammbitious for four freshmen to do this?

I work in radiation safety, and I have to say that this would take a tremendous amount of oversight. I think it is overly ambitious and more dangerous than you'd imagine.
vanesch
Dec19-08, 04:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,238
I can only add to the tune here...
redargon
Dec19-08, 05:26 AM
P: 348
I think you could make a conceptual design (just do the maths and physics and design one on paper) of one and then present it to some experts and find out where your mistakes and possible good ideas lie. This wouldn't cost more than time and it's a good way to learn all about it and perhaps add some new insight into those sorts of projects.
PHYSICS!!!:-)
Dec19-08, 08:01 PM
P: 14
Quote Quote by CRGreathouse View Post
I work in radiation safety, and I have to say that this would take a tremendous amount of oversight. I think it is overly ambitious and more dangerous than you'd imagine.
Oh, I totally agree. My group is only going to actually construct it if we have the supervision of our Local University's Physics Department. If not, no way in hell. So yeah, i totally agree. No way are wwe doing this in my basement or something.

Register to reply