Do All Four-Year Colleges Require Foreign Language for Physics Majors?

• Thread starter ljfe
  • Start date
In summary: It doesn't seem to have a lot of bearing on your major choice though.In summary, UMass would accept your credits for the associate degree, but not your art classes.
ljfe
I am going to a community college for MET and I want to change my major to Physics. I have 16 art credits and they will accept all of them for the associates degree, but they warned me that UMass needs 2 semesters of a foreign language. Is this typical of all four year schools for a physics/engineering (could I just shop around for a different four year school in my area)? Would UMass still accept me as a transfer student, but not accept my art classes and make me take a foreign language?

I'm super confused on this. Until I have a better understanding, it's holding me back from wanting to switch my major to Physics. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ljfe said:
I am going to a community college for MET and I want to change my major to Physics. I have 16 art credits and they will accept all of them for the associates degree, but they warned me that UMass needs 2 semesters of a foreign language. Is this typical of all four year schools for a physics/engineering (could I just shop around for a different four year school in my area)? Would UMass still accept me as a transfer student, but not accept my art classes and make me take a foreign language?

I'm super confused on this. Until I have a better understanding, it's holding me back from wanting to switch my major to Physics. Thanks in advance.
Beats me. You can check with someone at UMass about your particular situation.

Not all colleges have a foreign language requirement. In fact, I think only a few still do. While that may have been different in the past, things have changed over the years, and many colleges dropped that requirement. It is certainly not required for obtaining a bachelor's degree in engineering according to ABET.

Thank you. I will attempt to contact all local 4 year schools and find one that doesn't require a foreign language.

In your personal opinion, should I do Physics over MET? My initial plan was to knock out an associates in MET (not a bachelors, that would be a waste of time), then start all over with engineering/physics. I have 16 art credits and 14 MET credits. At precalc level for math.

ljfe said:
Thank you. I will attempt to contact all local 4 year schools and find one that doesn't require a foreign language.

In your personal opinion, should I do Physics over MET? My initial plan was to knock out an associates in MET (not a bachelors, that would be a waste of time), then start all over with engineering/physics. I have 16 art credits and 14 MET credits. At precalc level for math.
If you decide to switch to physics, be advised that the math you will be required to take will heavily emphasize calculus and differential equations at a minimum. In order to find decent employment as a physicist, you will probably have to not only do well as a physics undergrad, but you will probably need to study for a post-graduate degree as well, probably a doctorate.

ljfe said:
.. it's holding me back from wanting to switch my major to Physics. Thanks in advance.

Really? You are deciding your major on the basis of a two-semester elective requirement? Maybe you could look at the language requirement as an opportunity instead of a burden?

Likes mechpeac and NathanaelNolk
yes, I work full time. I already have scattered credits and I'm from any kind of degree. Thanks for the comment tthough

ljfe said:
I will attempt to contact all local 4 year schools and find one that doesn't require a foreign language.
Schools normally put this information on their web sites.

It is common to require a year of a foreign language for any four year degree. It is a general education requirement at many universities.

Related to Do All Four-Year Colleges Require Foreign Language for Physics Majors?

1. What is a foreign language requirement?

A foreign language requirement is a set of courses or proficiency exams that students must complete in order to graduate from a particular academic program or institution. It is usually designed to demonstrate a student's proficiency in a language other than their native language.

2. Why do some academic programs have a foreign language requirement?

Academic programs often have a foreign language requirement because it helps students develop a deeper understanding of different cultures and societies. It also prepares them for a globalized job market and allows for better communication with individuals from diverse backgrounds.

3. How do I fulfill a foreign language requirement?

The specific ways to fulfill a foreign language requirement may vary depending on the academic program or institution. Some common options include taking specific language courses, passing proficiency exams, or demonstrating language proficiency through previous coursework or experiences.

4. Can I waive a foreign language requirement?

It is possible to waive a foreign language requirement in some cases, depending on the academic program or institution's policies. Some common reasons for waiving the requirement include being a native speaker of a language other than the one being studied, having completed previous coursework in a foreign language, or demonstrating proficiency through other means.

5. How important is a foreign language requirement for my academic or career goals?

The importance of a foreign language requirement may vary depending on your academic or career goals. However, having proficiency in a foreign language can be beneficial in many fields, such as business, healthcare, and international relations. It also demonstrates valuable skills, such as adaptability and cultural awareness, which can be attractive to potential employers or graduate programs.