Astronomy events schedule

by Phobos
Tags: astronomy, events, schedule
Saladsamurai
Dec3-08, 05:46 AM
P: 3,012
Who can see the aurora? I live on the Northeast (U.S.). Can I see it? SHould I use my scope or would my binos be better for something like this?

Thanks!
tonightssky
Dec3-08, 10:26 AM
P: 20
Aurora Watch: December 4th, though best conditions will be on the 5th, the wind stream should arrive. Here are the probablities:

Mid Latitudes (between 35-50 degrees North Latitude)

Active Conditions: 40%
Minor Storm: 10%
Major Storm: 1%

High Latitudes (50-90 degrees North Latitude)

Active Conditions: 45%

Minor Storm: 15%
Major Storm: 10%

Note: all probablities apply to the peak of the storm, when it arrives.

Kp Values:

mid Lat: 3-5 Active, 5-6 minor, 7-9 major

Click here for an explanation of K- index scale

Saladsamurai: with a minor storm you have a good chance to see them, you are in mid latitude, so your relative chance is 10% (which is pretty high, and rare during a solar minimum) Aurora is a widefield colorful display, no need for eye aiding devices, the only suggestion I would give you is to find some non-light-polluted skies. Light Pollution can ruin a minor display. For more questions or updates on this event visit Tonightssky.org
hypatia
Dec6-08, 06:14 AM
P: 1,296
I really enjoy your photos, they are truly beautiful. I wish you would post some of them in the General discussion area of the forum {nature shots} so more people can see them.
tonightssky
Dec14-08, 02:01 PM
Just an update...

Geminid meteor shower peaked last night, and what a show it was, I saw two meteors in 30 secs, about 15 meteors per hour. I caught one on the cam here...

Absolution
Dec29-08, 10:38 PM
P: 4
I can't see anything here in Singapore with all the city lights, can I? :(
montoyas7940
Dec30-08, 07:41 AM
P: 263
Quote Quote by Absolution View Post
I can't see anything here in Singapore with all the city lights, can I? :(
Apparently the conditions in the city are very bad for night sky observing. That is a shame. There is some good info and links here.

http://lightpollutionsg.tripod.com/

You may have to get out of the city some distance to get good conditions.

Here is a link to a howto for the light pollution overlay on google earth.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-404-0-0-1-0.html

You can use it to find the nearest decent light conditions.

Good luck
Absolution
Dec30-08, 08:38 AM
P: 4
Thanks! :)

Will try out the links! We have an observatory at the Science Centre, but sadly i haven't got a chance to go there yet... Previously when the Mars, Moon and Earth(or was it the Sun) were in a line - pardon me i can't remember what its called - i did go there, but the queue was so long...
tonightssky
Jan4-09, 08:12 PM
Just Posting some recent stuff, This is all related to the Spectacular New Years Eve conjunction...

Comet Lulin: by the end of the month this should be a naked eye object visible in the morning sky. stay tuned for updates.

George Jones
Jan4-09, 08:32 PM
Mentor
P: 6,039
Quote Quote by tonightssky View Post
Just Posting some recent stuff, This is all related to the Spectacular New Years Eve conjunction...

Yes, I saw this tonight.
Sorry!
Jan5-09, 01:47 AM
P: 571
woah that is awesome.. never knew this place existed at these forums haha :p

where r u located in order to see those three planets .. cud i see them say from toronto??

i'm sure i can see venus ... its usually pretty close to the moon when i notice it and pretty damn bright.
George Jones
Jan5-09, 04:12 AM
Mentor
P: 6,039
Quote Quote by Sorry! View Post
where r u located in order to see those three planets .. cud i see them say from toronto??
I saw them last night from the centre of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Where in Toronto? It would be difficult, for example, to see Mercury and Jupiter right now from Bay and Bloor. You need a fairly unobstructed view of the western horizon just after sunset. I saw them from an overpass that spans a highway and some railroad tracks which run through an east-west corridor.
Sorry!
Jan5-09, 09:11 AM
well i actually live in mississauga so i get a pretty good un obstructed view of the sky kind of close to the lake
tonightssky
Jan6-09, 11:11 AM
Mercury should be fairly easy to spot still, but Jupiter is setting eariler and eariler each day, so look as soon as possible. Last night I could barely image all three together, Jupiter is starting to get lost in twilight. (and yes, almost everyone in the world sees the same sky, at least in the same Hemisphere)

And im located in Omaha, Nebraska

I attempted to spot Comet N3 Lulin this morning with my small scope, but Didnt have luck, I think it is still too dim to be found during the begining of twilight - at least in the city light pollution.

More later...
hypatia
Jan6-09, 02:13 PM
Looking at the planets have been great, and I saw a straggler of a meteor while in the parking lot at work the other morning. It made a dashing path across the sky, very nice.
tonightssky
Jan9-09, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, tonights full moon is the biggest it will be all year! literaly! it will appear 14% larger than most nights, its barely noticable, but check it out before at sunrise, while its near the horizon.

Also Jim Saueressig of Burlington Kansas took this image early yesterday morning of the comet. (it is to the right of the bright star circled) Some estimations put it between 6 and 7 Magnitude, not yet visible to the naked eye, but observers are seeing a great coma and anti-tail!

NOTE: I did not take this photo, to view more of Jim's photos check out his Flickr

Check my website for the latest on Comet N3 Lulin! www.Tonightssky.org
tonightssky
Feb21-09, 02:26 PM
Comet Lulin: now is the best time to check out this comet, its currently a magnitude 5.6 from recent estimates. It is visible with binoculars to big city light polluted skies. Many incredible images have been taken, this WILL be the brightest comet of 2009. It should peak in its brightness by February 24th probably at mag 5.4 to 5.2 Also on the 24th, the comet travels right next to Saturn - while Saturn's moon's transit the planet!!! - this is a very rare occurance. IF you live in dark skies, the comet should be visible to the naked eye!

use the sky map below to locate the comets position, or on the 24th, find saturn and use binoculars, the comet and planet will be in the same field of view!

To view more images, and to get more information on this comet, as well as more sky maps check out my webpage on the comet...

http://www.tonightssky.org/latestnightskyevents.html

remember to check out my website Tonight's Sky
hypatia
Jul14-09, 02:33 PM
Cygnus the Swan, is over head this month. For anyone new to sky/star watching, this summer month brings us the "Northern Cross". Three stars make up a triangle, a blue-white star named Vega, northern most Deneb and closest to the horizon, Altair.
One way to recognize the Summer Triangle is notice that there is a cross within the Triangle. The constellation Cygnus is that cross.
I hope everyone gets to go out sometime this week and take a peek.
Sorry!
Jul15-09, 11:18 AM
Hey guys, every night while I walk home I always look up at the stars. I always see two objects that I wonder what they are.

One is extremely bright and yellow. I always assumed that it was Venus. Its pretty big in the sky.

The other is a twinkling red object. No idea what this could be. I assume since it twinkles its a star sometimes it appears as if it changes from the redish colour to a blueish off white.

Register to reply