Register to reply

Is university physics much different from upper level mathematics?

by Luongo
Tags: mathematics, physics, university, upper
Share this thread:
Luongo
May1-09, 04:21 PM
P: 120
i havent taken any U physics, i got A+ up to calculus II and B+ in linear algebra, i'm taking calculus III and ODE next semester, i also have to take Mechanics physics. How is this physics? i signed up for an accelerated 1st year physics course covering 2 semesters of work in one as well as the 2 math courses i mentioned and javascript. Will i be able to handle this calculus based physics is it similar to mathematics ie: Work in calculus, related rates etc... or is it much different? i took general chem and organic chem both parts and did Okay B+ average. is there more theory stuff in physics like chem ie:theories of quantum bonding? i took physics 12 a very long time ago in h.s. and i don't remember. will i be good at physics or... is it much different from math?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Nabeshin
May1-09, 04:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Quote Quote by Luongo View Post
i havent taken any U physics, i got A+ up to calculus II and B+ in linear algebra, i'm taking calculus III and ODE next semester, i also have to take Mechanics physics. How is this physics? i signed up for an accelerated 1st year physics course covering 2 semesters of work in one as well as the 2 math courses i mentioned and javascript. Will i be able to handle this calculus based physics is it similar to mathematics ie: Work in calculus, related rates etc... or is it much different? i took general chem and organic chem both parts and did Okay B+ average. is there more theory stuff in physics like chem ie:theories of quantum bonding? i took physics 12 a very long time ago in h.s. and i don't remember. will i be good at physics or... is it much different from math?
Generally speaking, yes physics is much different from mathematics. An inclination in one subject does not necessarily correlate to an inclination in the other.

That said, especially for an intro mechanics class, the mathematics will be very easy for you so you won't have to worry about that at all. So, at least you're going to be able to focus on the real physics rather than getting bogged down in the mathematics (which happens to an alarmingly high amount of students). It's impossible to say whether or not you'll do well, but if you feel you at least conceptually understood your high school physics class, I'd say you have a very good chance of doing well.
mbisCool
May1-09, 06:20 PM
P: 136
Mechanics will be more applying concepts to solve problems. The math is often trivial if you have a thorough understanding of the physics, assuming you already have a strong mathematical foundation. This may vary however.

Bob S
May1-09, 08:40 PM
P: 4,663
Is university physics much different from upper level mathematics?

If you enjoy electricity labs and want courses that use higher math, then you should choose physics. If you want either electricity or math but not both, then choose them instead.
Vanadium 50
May31-09, 03:52 AM
Mentor
P: 16,379
Quote Quote by Luongo View Post
i'm taking calculus III and ODE next semester
You say you're at MIT. Do you mean the Massachusetts Institute of Technology? Or some other place. The reason I ask is that MIT doesn't offer three semesters of calculus. The standard sequence 18.01/18.02 covers it in two semesters.
Vid
May31-09, 04:36 AM
P: 420
A quick google search of his email address reveals he probably actually attends Douglas College...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/DSU_Book_...showtopic=4486
Vanadium 50
May31-09, 05:20 AM
Mentor
P: 16,379
Quote Quote by Vid View Post
A quick google search of his email address reveals he probably actually attends Douglas College...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/DSU_Book_...showtopic=4486
Pity. He'd get much better advice if he was more forthcoming with his actual situation.
D H
May31-09, 05:44 AM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Are you confusing posters, Vanadium? Luongo never said he was from MIT. In his "About Me" entries he says he is from Vancouver, which is where Douglas College is located.
cristo
May31-09, 05:49 AM
Mentor
P: 8,316
Quote Quote by D H View Post
Are you confusing posters, Vanadium? Luongo never said he was from MIT. In his "About Me" entries he says he is from Vancouver, which is where Douglas College is located.
See this thread: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...16#post2210116
Luongo
May31-09, 07:58 PM
P: 120
i recently graduated from douglas on the university transfer program and got accepted when i applied to MIT to stay with an uncle who lives in boston as i stated in my post http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...8&goto=newpost and there is a multivariable calculus course which is the one that i am taking
Pyrrhus
May31-09, 10:36 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,277
It's disappointing, when people lie about their situation. Luongo will get better advice if he was honest about his situation.
physicsnoob93
May31-09, 11:35 PM
P: 170
Tsk tsk tsk...
aostraff
Jun1-09, 07:14 AM
P: 48
I'm going to make a few assumptions. You're a hard-working student. You've been accepted to MIT. Even if intro to physics seems completely foreign to you, I think you'll be fine. But if my assumptions are incorrect, then my post is useless.

Register to reply