Deciding between physics and mathematics

In summary: But you don't know if you can handle the rigorous math courses in physics that you'll need to study for a career in that area. Hold the boat on this one.
schmtrphys
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if not sorry in advance.

I am a second-year physics major, thinking of switching to mathematics. I have always been interested in both, but I could never be sure whether I could become a mathematician. Understanding physics was relatively more straightforward, and I found it fascinating how mathematical concepts could be used to explain the universe. I never was interested in engineering or experiment; in fact, statistical mechanics and general relativity made me decide to study physics.

The math courses I took in college made me question my research interests. I do not like the non-rigorous approach in my linear algebra and differential equations courses which I am required to take as a physics major. On the other hand, I find the rigorous math courses I am taking from the mathematics department, such as the axiomatic set theory and group theory exciting. Even if I change my major to mathematics, I will still be able to take courses like analytical mechanics and quantum mechanics; the only courses I will not take from the physics department will be the experimental ones.

I am almost sure that my future career will revolve around geometry. However, I am still determining whether I want it to be in a more physical setting like relativity, cosmology, particle physics, or pure mathematics.

Could anyone give me some insight into what to expect in terms of mathematics for a career in mathematical physics in the areas I mentioned? Would I need a background in experimental physics to build intuition, or coming from a mathematics background with some theoretical physics courses would be sufficient to understand the physical meanings of the concepts?

Physics news on Phys.org
schmtrphys said:
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if not sorry in advance.

I am a second-year physics major, thinking of switching to mathematics. I have always been interested in both, but I could never be sure whether I could become a mathematician. Understanding physics was relatively more straightforward, and I found it fascinating how mathematical concepts could be used to explain the universe. I never was interested in engineering or experiment; in fact, statistical mechanics and general relativity made me decide to study physics.

The math courses I took in college made me question my research interests. I do not like the non-rigorous approach in my linear algebra and differential equations courses which I am required to take as a physics major. On the other hand, I find the rigorous math courses I am taking from the mathematics department, such as the axiomatic set theory and group theory exciting. Even if I change my major to mathematics, I will still be able to take courses like analytical mechanics and quantum mechanics; the only courses I will not take from the physics department will be the experimental ones.

I am almost sure that my future career will revolve around geometry. However, I am still determining whether I want it to be in a more physical setting like relativity, cosmology, particle physics, or pure mathematics.

Could anyone give me some insight into what to expect in terms of mathematics for a career in mathematical physics in the areas I mentioned? Would I need a background in experimental physics to build intuition, or coming from a mathematics background with some theoretical physics courses would be sufficient to understand the physical meanings of the concepts?
Check to see how your college credits the math/physics courses. It may be that you can graduate with both degrees adding an extra semester or two. Just be aware that upper division courses in both fields, are much more difficult. So you may or may not be able to handle both

MidgetDwarf said:
Check to see how your college credits the math/physics courses. It may be that you can graduate with both degrees adding an extra semester or two. Just be aware that upper division courses in both fields, are much more difficult. So you may or may not be able to handle both
I cannot do that. I am just asking for some insight into mathematical physics to decide whether I actually want to pursue it or not, not for ways to study both.

schmtrphys said:
I cannot do that. I am just asking for some insight into mathematical physics to decide whether I actually want to pursue it or not, not for ways to study both.
I do not have enough insight about the choice between those two. Your descriptions make one think that Physics is the better choice (for you).

schmtrphys said:

Hold the boat on this one.

I get it. That's where you see your career going.

But remember, you're not actually deciding on a career at this point. You're deciding on an educational pathway. If you pursue a physics degree, it will qualify you to attend graduate school in physics. If you pursue a mathematics degree, it will qualify you to attend graduate school in mathematics. There are ways to keep both doors open... a degree in mathematical physics, computational physics, a double major, etc. For details at your specific school, it would be worth booking an appointment with a graduate advisor to see what they recommend.

When it comes to a career, make sure you're aware of the probabilities involved. The probability of going on to a full academic career in fields like relativity, cosmology, particle physics, or pure mathematics even when give you have earned a PhD in one of those respective areas is quite low. There are just more PhDs produced, then positions for them.

That's not to say, don't bother going for it. But make sure to factor a backup plan into your decision. Those engineering applications that haven't interested you to this point, are often what pay the bills.

Choppy said:
Hold the boat on this one.

I get it. That's where you see your career going.

But remember, you're not actually deciding on a career at this point. You're deciding on an educational pathway. If you pursue a physics degree, it will qualify you to attend graduate school in physics. If you pursue a mathematics degree, it will qualify you to attend graduate school in mathematics. There are ways to keep both doors open... a degree in mathematical physics, computational physics, a double major, etc. For details at your specific school, it would be worth booking an appointment with a graduate advisor to see what they recommend.

When it comes to a career, make sure you're aware of the probabilities involved. The probability of going on to a full academic career in fields like relativity, cosmology, particle physics, or pure mathematics even when give you have earned a PhD in one of those respective areas is quite low. There are just more PhDs produced, then positions for them.

That's not to say, don't bother going for it. But make sure to factor a backup plan into your decision. Those engineering applications that haven't interested you to this point, are often what pay the bills.
The word choice might not be the best one indeed, but I would appreciate an answer to my question rather than a side note on a wrong word choice.
I am very well aware that I might end up in some engineering or software company, at a bank, or somewhere else after getting a PhD, say in string theory. I do have my backup plans, but they are irrelevant at this point. I just want to know what to expect from mathematical physics.

Nobody completes a PhD on their own. To get through it you need to graciously ask for help and graciously give it. You might want to ponder that.

Likes PhDeezNutz, MidgetDwarf and StatGuy2000

1. What is the main difference between physics and mathematics?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while mathematics is a formal science that deals with the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes.

2. Which field offers more career opportunities, physics or mathematics?

Both physics and mathematics offer a wide range of career opportunities. Physics can lead to careers in research, engineering, medicine, and many other fields, while mathematics can lead to careers in finance, data analysis, computer science, and more.

3. Is it possible to study both physics and mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to study both physics and mathematics. Many universities offer joint programs or allow students to major in one field and minor in the other.

4. Which field requires more advanced math skills?

Both physics and mathematics require advanced math skills, but mathematics may require a deeper understanding and application of mathematical concepts and theories.

5. Can I switch from studying physics to mathematics or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from studying physics to mathematics or vice versa. Many concepts and skills learned in one field can be applied to the other, making it easier to transition between the two.