giant magnetoresistance

by michaeltorrent
Tags: giant, magnetoresistance
michaeltorrent
Nov24-05, 07:22 AM
P: 11
for giant magnetoresistance with 3 layers suppose Fe-Cu-Fe, and suppose we take room temperature (300K) and moderate layer thickness (eg Fe = 30 Amstrong, Cu = 20 Amstrong),

what is the typical magnetoresistance we get? I mean the maximum resistance (in ohms) when the magnetization of the FM layers are antiparallel (i am not asking the GMR ratio delta r/ro).

Is it in the order of few tens of ohms, hundreds of ohms, kilo ohms ?

i just want rough estimate. all references i saw talk about the gmr ratio only, not the actual resistance.

thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Pieter Kuiper
Nov24-05, 09:09 AM
P: 143
Quote Quote by michaeltorrent
Is it in the order of few tens of ohms, hundreds of ohms, kilo ohms ?
i just want rough estimate. all references i saw talk about the gmr ratio only, not the actual resistance.
You can make a rough estimate using the bulk resistivity of copper and/or of iron. So it depends on the other dimensions of the film (length and width).

If we just take the sheet or surface resistance of a 10 film, one would divide the bulk resistivity by the thickness: (10^-8 Ohm.m)/(10^-9 m) = 10 Ohm (per square).

(Of course, this does not really work when dimensions become smaller than the electron mean free path. I copper at room temperature, this is about 300 . It only gives a rough estimate.)
ark009
May4-09, 12:03 AM
P: 1
hey .. guys . ... I was wondering if any one did some exerimental work on GMR .. I have been trying to get GMR in nanowires but have not been successful .. I have tried varying pulse timing but have had no luck .... Can any one help me out??

Register to reply