Register to reply

Effective mass of electrons in metals

by joel.martens
Tags: effective, electrons, mass, metals
Share this thread:
joel.martens
May12-09, 07:54 PM
P: 16
The literature i have on the origins / need for an effective mass of electrons seems only to relate it to the explanation of heat capacity of metals but it seems like the concept has applications far beyond this. Can someone pls provide a more general summary of its derivation and applications?
Cheers.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Bob S
May12-09, 09:09 PM
P: 4,663
Effective mass of holes and electrons in semiconductors is closely related to mobility. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effecti...-state_physics)
genneth
May13-09, 02:48 AM
P: 981
The cleanest understanding of effective mass in Fermi liquids comes from a solid understanding of fermionic renormalisation methods. See any number of papers by Shankar on the topic.

crazy_photon
May22-09, 02:00 AM
P: 34
Effective mass of electrons in metals

I think of effective mass as a curvature of the electronic dispersion relation. I.e. for a free electron:
E = hbar^2 k^2 / 2m

where m is the mass of free electron.

Now, in a crystalline solid, where electronic band diagram applies, any band (near a symmetry point) can be represented as parabolic in k space, with its own curvature, i.e.:

E = hbar^2 k^2 / 2m*

where m* is the 'renormalized' mass of an particle in band (electron or a hole).

What is puzzling to me is why in for example semiconductors the effective mass is lower than the free electron mass? If I apply an external electric field, these electrons will reach steady state velocity larger than the free ones... what is physically happening that electron acts as if its inertia is lowered?

Register to reply