by Ultrastar 1
Tags: black holes, white holes, wormholes
Share this thread:
DaveC426913
Jun8-09, 01:01 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Mr. Paradox View Post
But you have to admit that super extreme black holes are really cool
Well if they're really cool, then super-duper-mega-zowee black holes are ultra-hip-boffo cool.

Or are super extreme black holes something real? Reference?
Ultrastar 1
Jun10-09, 10:25 AM
P: 60
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Well if they're really cool, then super-duper-mega-zowee black holes are ultra-hip-boffo cool.

Or are super extreme black holes something real? Reference?
Good point. But still super black holes have nothing to do with this thread.
Ultrastar 1
Jun10-09, 10:29 AM
Quote Quote by Mr. Paradox View Post
But you have to admit that super extreme black holes are really cool
Well, I think that super black holes are an interesting subject, but they do not belong here.
Archosaur
Jun10-09, 06:50 PM
P: 328
super extreme = super massive = super?
Archosaur
Jun10-09, 06:54 PM
P: 328
Also, I propose the addition of "super nifty" black holes to the black hole family.
Vanadium 50
Jun11-09, 06:22 AM
Mentor
P: 16,115
Quote Quote by Ultrastar 1 View Post
You know what? The last time I looked, this is an astrophysics fourm meaning that anything of scientific intrest can be dicussed here
I prefer if you only contributed theories and ideas. No math please. That goes for everyone.
Well, I think that super black holes are an interesting subject, but they do not belong here.
I think it's best to leave the decision of what does and does not belong here to the mods. After all, it's their job.
Ultrastar 1
Jun11-09, 08:32 AM
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
I think it's best to leave the decision of what does and does not belong here to the mods. After all, it's their job.
That may be so, but still super extreme black holes still have nothing to do with this subject. Unless anybody can prove to me that they do have something to do with white holes, they do dot belong here.
radfx
Jun4-11, 12:11 PM
P: 1
Alrighty, there are some fundamental flaws in your model. I'm by no means a super-expert on blackhole theory, or conversely, white hole theory, but I'll try to explain the flaws as best as I could.

First off, matter and light entering a black hole is not "destroyed". You had the idea right until you used that word, basically, yes, it is compressed into the singularity, ie: if you could imagine that it is crushed from all directions until it is squeezed into an impossibly small dot, with no height, width or depth. Essentially, all the volume of the matter falling into the black hole is compressed into a zero-dimensional point, however, the mass remains, and increases the total mass of the blackhole, and due to this, increases the gravitational pull of the blackhole.

An extreme example of this, is lets assume that out of some cosmic fluke, a black hole that has one solar mass randomly (and yes, impossibly) forms within orbit around our sun. The sun and the blackhole would have the exact same mass, and would attract each other, dancing in circles around each other until they were close enough that solar material was pulled into the blackhole. As the material fell into the blackhole, the physical size of the blackhole would not increase, however, it's mass would, until it had completely consumed the sun, at which point it would have doubled in mass. This would increase it's gravitational pull, but the fact of the matter is that physically, it's still that zero-dimensional dot.

Now, as far as white holes, they are extremely intriguing, and physicists are already arguing about whether or not one may have been observed. Here is my theory regarding their possible existence. Black holes can last for millenia, white holes, if they can exist, probably only last for nanoseconds to minutes (as was the "potential white hole" gamma ray burst observed in 2006, which lasted for 102 seconds). We already know the blackholes can collapse and destabilize. If this happens, and for whatever reason the gravitational field starts falling apart, could this not result in an explosion of the singularity, dumping all that condensed matter and information back into space? This could be a white hole, and while not necessarily the long sustained effect we see in a black hole, is quite possibly a solution to this problem without really interfering with the second law of thermodynamics.... any thoughts?
khemist
Jun4-11, 04:42 PM
P: 267
I must confess, I really dont understand what you are trying to do. Prove that white holes do not exist?

Here is an interesting quote from wikipedia:
In quantum mechanics, the black hole emits Hawking radiation, and so can come to thermal equilibrium with a gas of radiation. Since a thermal equilibrium state is time reversal invariant, Stephen Hawking argued that the time reverse of a black hole in thermal equilibrium is again a black hole in thermal equilibrium.[3] This implies that black holes and white holes are the same object. The Hawking radiation from an ordinary black hole is then identified with the white hole emission. Hawking's semi-classical argument is reproduced in a quantum mechanical AdS/CFT treatment,[4] where a black hole in anti-de Sitter space is described by a thermal gas in a gauge theory, whose time reversal is the same as itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

This seems more like a philosophy discussion rather than scientific...
Vanadium 50
Jun4-11, 06:50 PM
Mentor
P: 16,115
This thread is years old, and the OP is long gone.

Register to reply