Find the second derivate .(tricky question).

• Thread starter Penultimate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a twice derivable function and finding the second derivative, with the mention of the chain rule and the importance of showing effort in solving problems. It is also mentioned that the person has an analysis exam the next day and is asking for help. The expert reminds them that PF does not solve homework and encourages them to show effort and come back to learn how to solve these problems.
Penultimate
There Fx a twice derivable function. Find Y'' if [tex]Y=f(\frac{2}{x})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work first. Do you know the chain rule?

I have problems with english ezpresions about math and i am not sure what you refer with chain rule.

The "chain rule" can be summarized as [tex]\frac{{df}}{{dx}} = \frac{{df}}{{du}}\frac{{du}}{{dx}}[/tex]. Make the substitution [tex]u = \frac{2}{x}[/tex] and you can take derivatives of f(2/x). Remember, f(2/x) is any arbitrary function with 2/x as the argument so when you find your result, don't be surprised that you have arbitrary derivatives, that is terms including f'(2/x) and f''(2/x).

Penultimate: You have at least 5 or 6 of these threads. No attempts at anything in any of them. We do not do your work for you, regardless of "how much time you have or do not have ."

Don't be lazy and show some effort.

Saladsamurai i know i and wish could but yesterday i got these question and tomomorow i have got the analysis exam. I don't expect you to do my homework , but i still hope you would solve the problem i have submited.
I don't know what else to say , whatever you will do with my threads i thank you again for the patience you are showing. Good night everybody have a nice time.

Penultimate said:
Saladsamurai i know i and wish could but yesterday i got these question and tomomorow i have got the analysis exam. I don't expect you to do my homework , but i still hope you would solve the problem i have submited.
I don't know what else to say , whatever you will do with my threads i thank you again for the patience you are showing. Good night everybody have a nice time.

You are again missing the point. We do not solve HW at PF. If you read the forum rules, you would know that.

If you show some effort, we will guide you through the solutions.

Good luck on your exam. And when you are ready to learn how to solve these and not just have them solved for you, come on back.

1. What is the second derivative?

The second derivative is the derivative of the derivative. In other words, it is the rate of change of the rate of change.

2. Why is finding the second derivative considered a tricky question?

Finding the second derivative can be considered tricky because it involves multiple steps and concepts in calculus, such as the chain rule and differentiating a function multiple times.

3. What is the purpose of finding the second derivative?

The second derivative helps us understand the curvature and concavity of a function. It can also help us find maximum and minimum points, as well as inflection points.

4. How do you find the second derivative of a function?

To find the second derivative, you first need to find the first derivative of the function. Then, you take the derivative of the first derivative using the power rule or chain rule. This will give you the second derivative of the original function.

5. Can the second derivative be negative?

Yes, the second derivative can be negative. This means that the function is concave down and has a maximum point. Conversely, a positive second derivative indicates a concave up function with a minimum point.