How should I calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##?

Math100
Homework Statement
Use the method of Lagrange multipliers to find the function ## y(x) ## that makes the functional ## S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2y^2dx ## stationary subject to the two constraints ## \int_{1}^{2}xydx=1 ## and ## \int_{1}^{2}x^2ydx=2 ##. Calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Consider the functional ## S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2y^2dx ## stationary subject to the two constraints ## \int_{1}^{2}xydx=1 ## and ## \int_{1}^{2}x^2ydx=2 ##.
Then the auxiliary functional is ## \overline{S}[y]=\int_{1}^{2}(x^2y^2+\lambda_{1}xy+\lambda_{2}x^2y)dx, y(1)=y(2)=0 ## where ## \lambda_{1} ## and ## \lambda_{2} ## are the Lagrange multipliers.
By definition, the Euler-Lagrange equation is ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})-\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ## for the functional ## S[y]=\int_{a}^{b}F(x, y, y')dx, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ##.
Let ## F(x, y, y')=x^2y^2+\lambda_{1}xy+\lambda_{2}x^2y ##.
This gives ## \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=2x^2y+\lambda_{1}x+\lambda_{2}x^2 ##.
Thus, the Euler-Lagrange equation is ## 2x^2y+\lambda_{1}x+\lambda_{2}x^2=0\implies 2x^2y=-\lambda_{1}x-\lambda_{2}x^2\implies y=-\frac{\lambda_{1}}{2x}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{2} ##.
The first constraint ## \int_{1}^{2}xydx=1 ## gives ## 1=\int_{1}^{2}x[-\frac{\lambda_{1}}{2x}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{2}]dx\implies 1=-\frac{\lambda_{1}}{2}-\frac{3\lambda_{2}}{4} ## and the second constraint ## \int_{1}^{2}x^2ydx=2 ## gives ## 2=\int_{1}^{2}x^2[-\frac{\lambda_{1}}{2x}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{2}]dx\implies 2=-\frac{3\lambda_{1}}{4}-\frac{7\lambda_{2}}{6} ##, so ## \lambda_{1}=16 ## and ## \lambda_{2}=-12 ##.
Hence ## y(x)=-\frac{\lambda_{1}}{2x}-\frac{\lambda_{2}}{2}\implies y(x)=-\frac{8}{x}+6 ##.
Observe that ## S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2y^2dx\implies S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2(-\frac{8}{x}+6)^2dx\implies S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2(\frac{64}{x^2}-\frac{96}{x}+36)dx\implies S[y]=4 ##.
Therefore, the function ## y(x) ## that makes the functional ## S[y]=\int_{1}^{2}x^2y^2dx ## stationary subject to the two constraints ## \int_{1}^{2}xydx=1 ## and ## \int_{1}^{2}x^2ydx=2 ## is ## y(x)=-\frac{8}{x}+6 ## and the stationary value of ## S[y] ## is ## 4 ##.

I just want to know if the work and answer shown above is correct or not. Please check/verify/confirm to see if this is correct or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the correct method; I hve not checked your arithmetic.

Note that [itex]y'[/itex] does not appear in [itex]F[/itex], so you do not end up with an ODE and you do not have boundary conditions.

Likes Math100
pasmith said:
This is the correct method; I hve not checked your arithmetic.

Note that [itex]y'[/itex] does not appear in [itex]F[/itex], so you do not end up with an ODE and you do not have boundary conditions.
Thank you so much for confirming/verifying!

1. How should I calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##?

To calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##, you need to find the derivative of ## S[y] ## with respect to ## y ## and set it equal to zero. This will give you the critical points where the function may have a stationary value.

2. What is the significance of finding the stationary value of ## S[y] ##?

Finding the stationary value of ## S[y] ## allows you to determine where the function reaches a maximum, minimum, or saddle point. This information is crucial in optimization problems and can help in understanding the behavior of the function.

3. Can I use calculus to calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##?

Yes, calculus is the primary tool used to calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##. By finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero, you can solve for the critical points and determine the stationary values of the function.

4. Are there any alternative methods to calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##?

While calculus is the most common method to calculate the stationary value of ## S[y] ##, there are other optimization techniques such as the method of Lagrange multipliers that can also be used in certain cases.

5. How can I verify if a stationary point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point?

To determine the nature of a stationary point, you can use the second derivative test. By evaluating the second derivative of ## S[y] ## at the critical points, you can classify them as either a maximum, minimum, or saddle point based on the concavity of the function at that point.