Share this thread:
Huckleberry
Jul8-09, 10:27 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
Gattaca

Flight of the Navigator

The Last Star Fighter

I'm trying to rack my brains for decent sci fi movies. Most of them just aren't that great.
'The Last Starfighter' was innovative with its implementation of CGI. I have this one on DVD. The old guy with his snakeoil salesman pitch is my favorite. It's the original video game movie (or maybe Tron takes that title) and reminds me of the times I used to beg my Mom to take me to the laundramat so I could dig between the machines with a coathanger to get quarters for the Galaga machine. It also costars Catherin Mary Stewart who I had a crush on back in the day. She also stars in 'Night of the Comet' which is similar to Romero's Living Dead series but with Valley girls. It's another genre I'm fond of. (zombie horror, not valley girls, though those oddly fitting 80's women's jeans are still something of a curiousity)

'Gattaca' is the first movie I can think of that involved its characters in a world where children's genetic code was selected by the parents. I can root for the underdog without being concerned about a political message.

'The Island'. The atmosphere is toxic and humanity lives and works inside isolated utopian communities. Sometimes they win a lottery and are sent away to retirement and a life of leisure. A few inhabitants want more from life and begin to discover the truth. This reminds me of an older movie. I want to say it stars Charlton Heston, but I can't find it in his filmography. When they escape their community they find the Earth isolated. Anyone know the name of it?

Other sci-fi movies with Heston 'The Omega Man' which was the precursor to the 'I am Legend' release with Will Smith. Heston also did 'Soylent Green'.

I mentioned 'Tron' earlier. Jeff Bridges stars in that and also stars in 'Starman' which is another movie directed by John Carpenter.

How about 'Enemy Mine' where Dennis Quaid plays a human pilot and Louis Gosset Jr. plays the alien? The races are at war with each other and the two pilots crash land on a remote planet and are forced to rely on each other for survival.

Here's one Danger might like, 'Cherry 2000'. A guys robotic girlfriend (Pamela Gidley) breaks down in an unfortunate lovemaking accident involving a dishwasher. The part necessary to repair her is no longer in production so he heads to the uncivilized wastes and hires Melanie Griffith to help him track down spare parts.
TheStatutoryApe
Jul8-09, 10:29 PM
P: 1,550
Sci Fi movies that I loved when I was a kid.

Batteries Not Included

Short Circuit

Explorers
TheStatutoryApe
Jul8-09, 10:31 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by Huckleberry View Post
How about 'Enemy Mine' where Dennis Quaid plays a human pilot and Louis Gosset Jr. plays the alien? The races are at war with each other and the two pilots crash land on a remote planet and are forced to rely on each other for survival.
That sounds really familiar but I don't quite remember it.
Huckleberry
Jul8-09, 11:26 PM
Apparently I was wrong about 'Omega Man' being the inspiration for 'I am Legend'. The Richard Matheson novel 'I am Legend' was made into a movie 'The Last Man on Earth' starring Vincent Price, which released in 1964.

And the name of the movie I was looking for was 'Logan's Run' starring Michael York, not Charlton Heston, and released in 1976.
Huckleberry
Jul8-09, 11:28 PM
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
That sounds really familiar but I don't quite remember it.
I could tell everyone the story, but it's better to watch the movie. It's pretty good.

Oh, I also am a fan of Explorers
Ivan Seeking
Jul8-09, 11:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Slaughterhouse Five

The Quiet Earth
Borek
Jul9-09, 03:14 AM
Admin
P: 23,386
Westworld.

Hardly the best movie I have seen, but as a teenager I was great fan of The Magnificent Seven, so any movie starring Yul Brynner was a must to see.
Pythagorean
Jul9-09, 05:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Quote Quote by wencke530 View Post
Dune, anyone?

My wife still makes fun of me for owning this movie. The novel is much better than the movie, though.
Yes, only the original movie though. The more recent ones were kinda cheesy(er).
Ivan Seeking
Jul9-09, 09:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hah! This is part 1 of the release of Metropolis that I was referencing. Be sure to check it out. I think this is one of the great movies of all time - an absolute masterpiece; and imo, even more so with the additions from Moroder. When I first saw this, I literally had to watch it about ten more times in a fairly short period of time before I had enough.

B. Elliott
Jul9-09, 09:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 397
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Westworld.
It's funny how you can see a lot of the inspiration for Terminator in Westworld.

My top sci-fi movies, in no particular order, are...

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (what inspired me to get into the submarine field)
The Abyss
Forbidden Planet
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Logans Run
Stargate
The Time Machine (H.G. Wells original)
Tron
War of the Worlds (Wells original)
Aliens (2)
Predator
Huckleberry
Jul9-09, 09:51 PM
The doors open. A teacher and some children exit. The guy falls in love. That's priceless. It's interesting how silent movies progress the plot, and the Flash Gordon type music is awesome. I have the movie on my netflix queue and will watch it this weekend if it arrives in time. The version they are distributing mentions it has been restored to include the 1927 orchestral score, but I don't think it's Moroder's version. I'm downloading that right now, just to make a comparison.

Hmm, just found out that Freddy Mercury sings the first song on the Moroder version soundtrack 'Love Kills'. He also composed all the music for Flash Gordon. I guess that's why I make the connection. Other artists on the soundtrack are Pat Benetar and Bonnie Tyler.

This is gonna be good!
Danger
Jul9-09, 10:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Here's one Danger might like, 'Cherry 2000'. A guys robotic girlfriend (Pamela Gidley) breaks down in an unfortunate lovemaking accident involving a dishwasher. The part necessary to repair her is no longer in production so he heads to the uncivilized wastes and hires Melanie Griffith to help him track down spare parts.
I've been trying to find that damned movie for years, because I really want to see it. Good call. I never watched 'Dune'. Three times I tried to read the book and quit within 20 pages because it disgusted me to an unprecedented degree. Something about opening the book describing an obese predatory gay pedophile with a boy and a globe in his study put me off.
I must repeat myself here, from a previous thread, that 'Sci-Fi' is an horrendously insulting term to SF fans. It's like calling a man's wife a whore. Something like 'The Core' or 'Signs' or 'The Butterfly Effect' or 'Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster' are Sci-Fi. Things like 'Star Wars' or 'The Last Starfighter' are science-oriented fantasy. (I love both, bye the by.) Then you have science-oriented comedy such as 'Men In Black' or 'Galaxy Quest'.
True SF is creature-oriented (usually human, or an analogy thereof) with plausible scientific elements. 'Forbidden Planet', despite the robot, is a remake of 'The Tempest'. The 'Star Trek' episode 'Conscience of the King' is also rehashed Shakespeare.
As much as I hate cowboy ****, including westerns, I really enjoyed 'Firefly' and loved the 'Serenity' movie that came from it. Seeing cute little Summer Glau beat the living bejabers out of a barroom full of bad *** tough guys just made my day. (That's also why I love 'The Sarah Conner Chronicles'. )
I can barely remember THX1133, but I enjoyed it and the effects were remarkable for that era.
Still can't beat 'Flesh Gordon', though. I don't think that a single copy of the original hard-core version still exists, but the R-rated version is still way cool.
Ivan Seeking
Jul9-09, 11:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
I must repeat myself here, from a previous thread, that 'Sci-Fi' is an horrendously insulting term to SF fans. It's like calling a man's wife a whore.
Only to you as far as I know.
Ivan Seeking
Jul9-09, 11:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The doors open. A teacher and some children exit. The guy falls in love. That's priceless. It's interesting how silent movies progress the plot,
The story does tend to jump. Presumably some of that is the result of lost footage that was never recovered. It was also somewhat inherent in films from that time. But I tend to disagree wrt your particular example. Love at first sight... Surely you aren't so old that you've forgotten what it's like?
Huckleberry
Jul10-09, 01:15 AM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
The story does tend to jump. Presumably some of that is the result of lost footage that was never recovered. It was also somewhat inherent in films from that time. But I tend to disagree wrt your particular example. Love at first sight... Surely you aren't so old that you've forgotten what it's like?
I can be a bit hard to read sometimes, but I do find the introduction endearing. Love at first sight isn't anything I remember personally, but I'm glad it's out there somewhere. It is priceless, and I get a little kick of humor out of it as well.

For future reference, in case you're wondering, a good indicator of whether I'm being serious or cynical is the nature of the material I'm commenting on. If I'm cynical about love I must be really low.

EDIT - Ivan, were you aware that at least some of that footage has been found?
http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...ertainmentNews

Quote Quote by Danger
I must repeat myself here, from a previous thread, that 'Sci-Fi' is an horrendously insulting term to SF fans. It's like calling a man's wife a whore.
Another man's wife or his own? I can think of a few times that might be a good thing. Probably not at Thanksgiving dinner though.

You can download Cherry2000 for free with bittorrent. You can also order it from Amazon.com for $10US new and about $6US used + shipping and handling. If you call up your local video store and request it they might be able to accomodate you in some way.

Summer Glau is a crazy, little sweetheart. Unfortunately, I think Sarah Connor Chronicles has seen its last season.
Ivan Seeking
Jul10-09, 01:40 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
EDIT - Ivan, were you aware that at least some of that footage has been found?
http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...ertainmentNews
Wow! That is fantastic. Also, an interesting excerpt from your link:

..."Metropolis," which depicts a tumultuous class struggle in a vast, urban society, was the first film to be entered into UNESCO's Memory of the World Register -- which aims to preserve cultural achievements of outstanding significance.

Released in 1927, set a century later, the silent film was not a commercial success and nearly ruined the studio behind it. According to some estimates, it still ranks as one of the most expensive movies ever made once inflation is factored in....
Danger
Jul10-09, 04:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Only to you as far as I know.
No, it's pretty standard among SF fans. It's really quite insulting, equivalent to using the 'N' word for African North Americans or the 'S' word for those of Latin background. It very seriously offends us, when applied to real SF. The aforementioned crap movies deserve the moniker; true SF does not.
Huckleberry
Jul11-09, 01:48 AM
Does SF mean science oriented fantasy? I guess I've always realized there is a difference between movies like 'Killer Clowns from Outer Space' and 'Aliens', but I never thought to seperate them into individual genres. I've always thought of fantasy movies to be something like 'Krull' or 'Conan the Barbarian'.

So let's see if I got the classifications right.
Sci-fi = 'Toxic Avengers', 'Monster A-Go-Go' or 'The Blob'
SF = 'Back to the Future', 'Donnie Darko' or 'The Lathe of Heaven'
Science comedy = 'Mars Attacks', 'Coneheads' or 'Idiocracy'

Is there a horror genre? Can one movie fit into more than one genre? This could be a fun game all by itself; guessing which genre a movie fits into.

Register to reply