What are your thoughts on 'Ad Astra' and Will Smith's upcoming Gemini Man?

• Thread starter member 656954
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around two upcoming films, Will Smith's Gemini Man and the recently released Ad Astra. The participants discuss their expectations for Gemini Man and their thoughts on Ad Astra, with one person disappointed by Smith's recent movies and another finding the film too dark. They also point out various plot holes and inconsistencies in Ad Astra, such as the speed of travel and the use of antimatter. Overall, they agree that the film was disappointing and lacked logical explanations for certain events.
member 656954
If you've seen it, what did you think?

Ad Astra is clearly a big budget affair, $80 million worth of big, and has a big name star - Brad Pitt - attached as loner astronaut Roy McBride. McBride is almost the archetypal 'Man with No Name' character - tough, self contained, aloof, and so emotionally detached that his pulse never goes above 80 bpm no matter the situation - though whether his character is nature or nurture is never adequately resolved and probably does not matter for the message the movie hamfistedly conveys.

We first meet McBride as he prepares himself for a mission that I took to be LEO based, but turns out Roy is on some kind of crazy tall but attached to the ground antenna looking for alien signals - I think! - when a power surge causes structural problems that kicks Roy off the antenna and sends him falling to Earth. The trailer makes it seem that Roy miraculously survives a Felix Baumgartner-like stunt, and I went into the movie wondering about that, but the solution presented seems a cheat, actually.

The improbable nature of the sequence is, however, a signal of things to come in a thinly written plot laden with numerous WTF moments...

It seems that the power surge was caused by events happening near far off Neptune, and - shock, surprise - Roy's supposed-to-be-dead father might be involved. At least, it's a surprise to Roy. That's because his father, H. Clifford McBride, is also an astronaut, but he's the astronaut, the most decorated, most revered astronaut ever, commander of the Lima Project, a mission to travel beyond the Sun's heliosphere searching for aliens. As the song says, Baby, that was years ago, and according to everything Roy knows, his father, and everyone else on the mission, died in the outer solar system in circumstances that if they were mentioned, I didn't catch.

I also didn't really understand the reason why a search for alien life has to be conducted beyond the Sun's magnetic influence. It was the type of gobbledygook that probably sounded convincing to the writers, James Gray (who also produced, that shouldn't be allowed, where's the subjectivity?) and Ethan Gross (who worked on Fringe so should have known better), but there's no evidence that a science advisor was involved with this hot mess, so anyone watching the film with even a cursory knowledge of science will likely have been wincing as this theme is played out.

My friend Dave, who I saw the movie with, doesn't have a background in science (he's actually a cinematographer) and even he asked me about it afterward, wondering about the 'why' of such an extreme act of idiocy, but sadly, it's merely one such item of gobbledygook, which ranges from an underground lake on Mars that appears to have leaves floating in it (along with an inexplicable guide wire that Roy uses to pull himself along) to Roy using a makeshift shield to traverse the fast moving rubble in the rings of Neptune, to a complete lack of orbital mechanics.

Searching for aliens is a recurring theme in the movie and while it makes no more sense than anything else that happens so you just have to go with it, it is the basis for McBride Snr's entire characterization. I get that McBride Snr. might be a nutty guy, but the opening looking-for-aliens sequence confirms that the nuttiness goes beyond his tenuous mental state. That his tenuous mental state apparently came as a surprise to the SpaceCom (aka NASA) psychologists is just another item you have to park, because really, wouldn't any professional shrink worth employing have noticed over the years that their leading light astronaut superstar is actually an alien-loving fruitcake with serious issues? Apparently not!

McBride Snr. is played by industry veteran Tommy Lee Jones, and despite the big budget, it didn't appear that a dime was spent on any fancy 'youthenizer' tech to make saggy old Tommy look decades younger for the retrospective flashes, which was disconcerting. Not nearly as disconcerting as the monkeys in space sequence though. I'm not going to explain that, you'll have to see the movie, but honestly, it was as ludicrous as Matt Damon's cameo in Interstellar and just about as obvious a plot device.

Going back to those power surges, they are somehow caused by antimatter, which the Lima Project used, and for reasons glossed over because...well, they make no sense so you'd have to gloss over them, wouldn't you...have the power to destroy life on Earth and possibly the universe along with it!

<Cue the dramatic tension>

Given the imminent threat, Roy agrees to travel to Mars (because the power surge has fried all other comms stations, yet we see Roy et al talking via radio to mission control on numerous instances, but sure, why not!) to try and signal his father who is apparently orbiting Neptune and engage him in what would have to be the worst reunion conversation ever. But to get to Mars, Roy has to leave from the Moon, and that involves yet another bizarre sequence where dastardly bad guys on lunar rovers attack Roy and his team on their lunar rovers in the so-called "no man's land" that is somehow placed between the large Moon base and the Mars launch pad. It MAKES NO SENSE and is another stupidly conceived action sequence that highlights how cool under pressure Roy is. Because seriously, knowing no man's land is there - and they do, they even warn Roy about it - surely SpaceCom could have just used a hopper and flown him the few miles to the launch pad and avoided any Moon Pirates? (I'm entirely ignoring the economics of 'pirates' on the Moon. It's not like you can get there easily, or survive 'off the land', and they seemed intent on destroying Roy's lunar rover, so they were clearly not of the Somalian school of pirating.)

Thinking on this sequence later, Dave and I discussed the Reavers in Joss Whedon's outstanding Serenity, noting that motivating the pirates in Ad Astra in a similar "loony" fashion would have at least provided a reason for their actions, as flimsy as that might have been. But it seems that the point of Ad Astra was so compelling to the production team that nobody was asking "Hmm, does that make any sense?" allowing way too much dumb stuff to slip through.

Interestingly, while Ad Astra lovingly portrays weightlessness in a realistic fashion, gravity on the Moon and Mars appear to be conveniently Earth-normal (apart from the lunar rover sequence), so Brad does not have to emulate Neil Armstrong's hop-shuffle. That inconsistent adoption of physics is pretty typical of science fiction movies these days, and I guess directors figure audiences don't care enough that they won't buy a ticket, but we do, it's annoying to watch and given the budget, there's no reason for it apart from laziness and my thoughts are typical of other viewers in hating the stupidity in the 'science'.

I'm running out of critical puff to go through the rest of this excruciating story step by step, but suffice to say, it never gets better. The strange action sequences are interspersed with way too much of Roy's heavy breathing, his confused internal narrative, and snippets from his past that torment him. It's fair to say that while Roy goes a little nutty on the quick trip to Neptune, he's never as far off the deep end as Daddy dearest. I will note though, that having spent most of the movie getting to his father, apparently there were not enough cans of 35mm film left for the McBride's Snr. and Jr. to properly engage before Roy has to have to drop Dad down a gravity well and then destroy his one true home to save the day. If I tell you that Finding Nemo covers father / son attachment issues better than the McBride's it will probably give you some idea of how much of a confused moment you're going to encounter in the dying minutes of the movie.

So, what is Ad Astra all about? It's basically two hours and $80m to remind us (and men especially, presumably) that being connected to others is healthier than walling yourself off. Because men are the target audience, we need science fiction. And because science fiction isn't real, they apparently have liberty to go heavy on the fiction and light on the science, to the detriment of the story, and thus the viewer. <sigh>

I really didn't like Ad Astra. It wasted a lot of money and Pitt's acting skills, and to be perfectly honest, highlighted that film makers have learned not much since Kubrick took us on any equally visually exquisite but entirely ponderous solar system outing in 1968. Ad Astra steals a lot from 2001: A Space Odyssey (including monkeys), but Kubrick at least had the brilliance of Arthur C. Clarke to springboard the story off.

Ultimately, any movie is personal taste. But I'm thinking that if you care about the science in your science fiction, then watching Ad Astra is likely to drive you nuts. There are just too many moments when science - and common sense - are chucked out the window for nebulous plot reasons. It's a shame, but I think the intent was a momentous #MenToo movie of some kind. If so, the hastag is more FailedEffort than FantasticOutcome.

And that's why I can't wait for Will Smith's upcoming Gemini Man. I'm not expecting anything but silly fun from that, a sci-fi action adventure that moves so fast you don't have time to worry about the plot holes. Smith is no Pitt, but that's okay. Hopefully, Gemini Man won't be an Ad Astra either, and I'm come out of the cinema smiling, not scowling.

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Tghu Verd said:

Ad Astra is clearly a big budget affair, $80 million worth of big, and has a big name star - Brad Pitt - attached as loner astronaut Roy McBride. McBride is almost the archetypal 'Man with No Name' character - tough, self contained, aloof, and so emotionally detached that his pulse never goes above 80 bpm no matter the situation - though whether his character is nature or nurture is never adequately resolved and probably does not matter for the message the movie hamfistedly conveys.

We first meet McBride as he prepares himself for a mission that I took to be LEO based, but turns out Roy is on some kind of crazy tall but attached to the ground antenna looking for alien signals - I think! - when a power surge causes structural problems that kicks Roy off the antenna and sends him falling to Earth. The trailer makes it seem that Roy miraculously survives a Felix Baumgartner-like stunt, and I went into the movie wondering about that, but the solution presented seems a cheat, actually.

The improbable nature of the sequence is, however, a signal of things to come in a thinly written plot laden with numerous WTF moments...

It seems that the power surge was caused by events happening near far off Neptune, and - shock, surprise - Roy's supposed-to-be-dead father might be involved. At least, it's a surprise to Roy. That's because his father, H. Clifford McBride, is also an astronaut, but he's the astronaut, the most decorated, most revered astronaut ever, commander of the Lima Project, a mission to travel beyond the Sun's heliosphere searching for aliens. As the song says, Baby, that was years ago, and according to everything Roy knows, his father, and everyone else on the mission, died in the outer solar system in circumstances that if they were mentioned, I didn't catch.

I also didn't really understand the reason why a search for alien life has to be conducted beyond the Sun's magnetic influence. It was the type of gobbledygook that probably sounded convincing to the writers, James Gray (who also produced, that shouldn't be allowed, where's the subjectivity?) and Ethan Gross (who worked on Fringe so should have known better), but there's no evidence that a science advisor was involved with this hot mess, so anyone watching the film with even a cursory knowledge of science will likely have been wincing as this theme is played out.

My friend Dave, who I saw the movie with, doesn't have a background in science (he's actually a cinematographer) and even he asked me about it afterward, wondering about the 'why' of such an extreme act of idiocy, but sadly, it's merely one such item of gobbledygook, which ranges from an underground lake on Mars that appears to have leaves floating in it (along with an inexplicable guide wire that Roy uses to pull himself along) to Roy using a makeshift shield to traverse the fast moving rubble in the rings of Neptune, to a complete lack of orbital mechanics.

Searching for aliens is a recurring theme in the movie and while it makes no more sense than anything else that happens so you just have to go with it, it is the basis for McBride Snr's entire characterization. I get that McBride Snr. might be a nutty guy, but the opening looking-for-aliens sequence confirms that the nuttiness goes beyond his tenuous mental state. That his tenuous mental state apparently came as a surprise to the SpaceCom (aka NASA) psychologists is just another item you have to park, because really, wouldn't any professional shrink worth employing have noticed over the years that their leading light astronaut superstar is actually an alien-loving fruitcake with serious issues? Apparently not!

McBride Snr. is played by industry veteran Tommy Lee Jones, and despite the big budget, it didn't appear that a dime was spent on any fancy 'youthenizer' tech to make saggy old Tommy look decades younger for the retrospective flashes, which was disconcerting. Not nearly as disconcerting as the monkeys in space sequence though. I'm not going to explain that, you'll have to see the movie, but honestly, it was as ludicrous as Matt Damon's cameo in Interstellar and just about as obvious a plot device.

Going back to those power surges, they are somehow caused by antimatter, which the Lima Project used, and for reasons glossed over because...well, they make no sense so you'd have to gloss over them, wouldn't you...have the power to destroy life on Earth and possibly the universe along with it!

<Cue the dramatic tension>

Given the imminent threat, Roy agrees to travel to Mars (because the power surge has fried all other comms stations, yet we see Roy et al talking via radio to mission control on numerous instances, but sure, why not!) to try and signal his father who is apparently orbiting Neptune and engage him in what would have to be the worst reunion conversation ever. But to get to Mars, Roy has to leave from the Moon, and that involves yet another bizarre sequence where dastardly bad guys on lunar rovers attack Roy and his team on their lunar rovers in the so-called "no man's land" that is somehow placed between the large Moon base and the Mars launch pad. It MAKES NO SENSE and is another stupidly conceived action sequence that highlights how cool under pressure Roy is. Because seriously, knowing no man's land is there - and they do, they even warn Roy about it - surely SpaceCom could have just used a hopper and flown him the few miles to the launch pad and avoided any Moon Pirates? (I'm entirely ignoring the economics of 'pirates' on the Moon. It's not like you can get there easily, or survive 'off the land', and they seemed intent on destroying Roy's lunar rover, so they were clearly not of the Somalian school of pirating.)

Thinking on this sequence later, Dave and I discussed the Reavers in Joss Whedon's outstanding Serenity, noting that motivating the pirates in Ad Astra in a similar "loony" fashion would have at least provided a reason for their actions, as flimsy as that might have been. But it seems that the point of Ad Astra was so compelling to the production team that nobody was asking "Hmm, does that make any sense?" allowing way too much dumb stuff to slip through.

Interestingly, while Ad Astra lovingly portrays weightlessness in a realistic fashion, gravity on the Moon and Mars appear to be conveniently Earth-normal (apart from the lunar rover sequence), so Brad does not have to emulate Neil Armstrong's hop-shuffle. That inconsistent adoption of physics is pretty typical of science fiction movies these days, and I guess directors figure audiences don't care enough that they won't buy a ticket, but we do, it's annoying to watch and given the budget, there's no reason for it apart from laziness and my thoughts are typical of other viewers in hating the stupidity in the 'science'.

I'm running out of critical puff to go through the rest of this excruciating story step by step, but suffice to say, it never gets better. The strange action sequences are interspersed with way too much of Roy's heavy breathing, his confused internal narrative, and snippets from his past that torment him. It's fair to say that while Roy goes a little nutty on the quick trip to Neptune, he's never as far off the deep end as Daddy dearest. I will note though, that having spent most of the movie getting to his father, apparently there were not enough cans of 35mm film left for the McBride's Snr. and Jr. to properly engage before Roy has to have to drop Dad down a gravity well and then destroy his one true home to save the day. If I tell you that Finding Nemo covers father / son attachment issues better than the McBride's it will probably give you some idea of how much of a confused moment you're going to encounter in the dying minutes of the movie.

So, what is Ad Astra all about? It's basically two hours and $80m to remind us (and men especially, presumably) that being connected to others is healthier than walling yourself off. Because men are the target audience, we need science fiction. And because science fiction isn't real, they apparently have liberty to go heavy on the fiction and light on the science, to the detriment of the story, and thus the viewer. <sigh>

I really didn't like Ad Astra. It wasted a lot of money and Pitt's acting skills, and to be perfectly honest, highlighted that film makers have learned not much since Kubrick took us on any equally visually exquisite but entirely ponderous solar system outing in 1968. Ad Astra steals a lot from 2001: A Space Odyssey (including monkeys), but Kubrick at least had the brilliance of Arthur C. Clarke to springboard the story off.

Ultimately, any movie is personal taste. But I'm thinking that if you care about the science in your science fiction, then watching Ad Astra is likely to drive you nuts. There are just too many moments when science - and common sense - are chucked out the window for nebulous plot reasons. It's a shame, but I think the intent was a momentous #MenToo movie of some kind. If so, the hastag is more FailedEffort than FantasticOutcome.

And that's why I can't wait for Will Smith's upcoming Gemini Man. I'm not expecting anything but silly fun from that, a sci-fi action adventure that moves so fast you don't have time to worry about the plot holes. Smith is no Pitt, but that's okay. Hopefully, Gemini Man won't be an Ad Astra either, and I'm come out of the cinema smiling, not scowling.

Smith's movies have dissapointed me for a long time.

I only liked him on Fresh Prince and ID4, since he acted more funny then.
Serious Smith is a bore.

As for Ad Astra, I had not expected so much interior monologue, but it was centered very much on Pitt.

The baboons reminds me why taking animals to space is likely a really bad idea. Monkeys are stronger than us anyway, in zero g it only gets worse.

Overall it was a dark film. The only hope was the positive message: Reach for what is real, within your reach, and important, not what is imaginary, out of reach, and not important.

Likes BillTre
Bab5space said:
Overall it was a dark film

Yes, I'd not really considered that while watching, but it was a dark film. Pitt's dissolution somewhat reminded me of Captain Willard's journey in Apocalypse Now, just nowhere near as well done.

Tghu Verd said:

You summarised that pretty well. The whole thing was full of WTF moments. Brad tries to communicate with his Father and gets an answer back in what, 10 mins instead of something like 8 hours, and the travel time to Mars and then to Neptune seems like only days. A terrible film.

Cheers

Likes member 656954
cosmik debris said:
The whole thing was full of WTF moments

Yeah, I liked that SpaceCom had sent robot probes to Neptune and could not find McBride Snr's. ship because "space is big", but Roy zips out there and finds him no trouble at all. Plus, SpaceCom was sending messages to a ship with supposedly disabled comms gear. Plus, Roy could have parked his ship so he didn't need to traverse the ring, that was really poor piloting. OMG, it really does get worse upon reflection...

It is disappointing watching bad sci-fi, I so did want Ad Astra to be good!

I liked the story and was able to suspend disbelief for some of the inaccuracies- which I would say were not worse than a typical non-SF thriller, where the hero repeatedly performs unnatural vehicular acts

The main silly thing to me was the antimatter reaction that supposedly would wreck the solar system but could be fixed by nuking the antimatter source

BWV said:
The main silly thing to me was the antimatter reaction that supposedly would wreck the solar system but could be fixed by nuking the antimatter source

Yeah, there was definitely that. I think my WTF meter had pegged out by then, because the 'surf the explosion' scene barely even registered for the stupidity it was :eek:

I think the film is much more flawed than you let on. You were way too kind picking at (relatively) small details in the story.

To my eye, the whole plot made no sense.

The entire power surge disaster - the entire plot driver - was a complete MacGuffin. In fact, it was so unimportant, it was explained with a tossed off one-liner about "my mutinous crew set this up" and "I've spent the last decade trying to turn it off."

But the non sequitur doesn't end there. No explanation as to why the crew would set up such a device.

And apparently, just blowing it up is fine. So it's not merely that it contains antimatter (if that were it, then blowing it up would wipe out Earth in one fell swoop) - they must have set up some device that harvests or produces anti-matter, and then uses it to create frequent EMPs.

Is this just the dumbest plot in the history of modern science fiction, or did I miss something?

While I'm at it: the mission crew would have blown it up quite nicely without his interference, so the only reason they had to die was so the Pitt character could face his dad.

His rationale was "You'll never make it to Neptune without me!" Why not?

Am I missing something that would cause any of this to make sense?

DaveC426913 said:
Am I missing something that would cause any of this to make sense?

Well, assuming that the father was stark raving mad, then that whole thread of behavior might make sense, but in that case, it does not make sense that he'd be in charge of anything more complicated than the TV remote in an asylum, let alone a spaceship.

So, no, nothing made much sense.

OK, I talked with a friend who just saw it, and picked up a few things:

The reason they would never make it to Neptune without him is because the new Commander is incompetent. He froze when landing on Mars, and our anti-hero had to take over.

Why was an incompetent Co-pilot assigned as Commander? Because the actual Commander was eaten by baboons. Which is why that whole "let's just stop for this emergency" scene was in the film at all.

But hey - the idea of killing all forward velocity to make an unscheduled stop, only to have to build it up again (with, apparently, a bottomless fuel tank) is the least of this film's problems.

This is the kind of film that makes me wonder if it made more sense as a book. There are sufficient unexplained events in the film to make me think that they were cut from the script of a two-hour film. The book may have had enough room to go a little more into
- his obsession with finding ETI, and why he fought the crew on it
- the side-trip to the Baboon Station of Doom
- the rationale behind the pulse device
etc.

If you look at it that way - a book with a lot of cerebral ideas and psychology, that got put through a movie-making grinder - you can practically hear the execs in the writer's meeting cutting exposition scenes and adding action scenes, to turn it into something watchable and marketable.A similar thing happened to me once when writing a book report ('R is for Revolution'). I had to synopsize the story and I got about 2/3rds of the way through the plot when I came to an event that was too granular to bother including - my synopsis was already too long - so I omitted it.

But upon review from the top, I realized removing that bit meant there was no reason for a previous scene, so I cut that too. That process cascaded until the very underpinnings of the story were cut away and the synopsis stopped making sense. But hey - at least it was within the word count! And it's due tomorrow...

DaveC426913 said:
This is the kind of film that makes me wonder if it made more sense as a book

Sadly, the source of Ad Astra was entirely director James Gray and co-writer Ethan Gross, there was no original - or even adjacent - novel to draw from. Apparently, their intent was to make an "eerily realistic sci-fi movie", in which case, they failed spectacularly :frown:

• Informative
Likes Rubidium_71 and DaveC426913
My wife pointed out another potential source of "context-attrition": the editing process.

Though I guess that's still part of the film-making journey, just looking a little more granular ... granully ... granular-ly ... a little more closer.

1. What is "Ad Astra" about?

"Ad Astra" is a science fiction movie that follows the journey of astronaut Roy McBride (played by Brad Pitt) as he travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of Earth.

2. Is "Ad Astra" scientifically accurate?

While the movie does incorporate some real science and technology, it also takes creative liberties in order to tell a compelling story. Some aspects, such as the depiction of space travel and the effects of long-term space exposure, are fairly accurate, while others, such as the existence of a secret base on Neptune, are purely fictional.

3. What is the premise of Will Smith's upcoming movie "Gemini Man"?

"Gemini Man" is an action thriller about an aging assassin (played by Will Smith) who is targeted by a younger clone of himself. As he tries to uncover the truth behind the creation of his clone, he must also fight to protect himself and his loved ones from the younger, more skilled version of himself.

4. Is "Gemini Man" based on a true story?

No, "Gemini Man" is a work of fiction and is not based on a true story. The concept of cloning and the ethical implications surrounding it have been explored in other films and media, but the specific story and characters in "Gemini Man" are not based on real events.

5. Are there any similarities between "Ad Astra" and "Gemini Man"?

While both movies fall under the science fiction genre and involve space exploration, they have very different premises and themes. "Ad Astra" focuses more on the emotional journey of the main character and the search for his father, while "Gemini Man" is more action-oriented and delves into the concept of cloning and identity. However, both movies feature talented actors and stunning visual effects, making them highly anticipated releases in the science fiction genre.