by Phobos
Tags: astronomy, events, schedule
Share this thread:
George Jones
Jul15-09, 01:01 PM
Mentor
P: 6,228
Quote Quote by Sorry! View Post
Hey guys, every night while I walk home I always look up at the stars. I always see two objects that I wonder what they are.

One is extremely bright and yellow. I always assumed that it was Venus. Its pretty big in the sky.

The other is a twinkling red object. No idea what this could be. I assume since it twinkles its a star sometimes it appears as if it changes from the redish colour to a blueish off white.
It's difficult to say without more information.

Are you looking towards the south around midnight? If so, you could be seeing Jupiter (left, very bright, whitish) and the red giant star (right) Antares.
chemisttree
Jul15-09, 01:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Sounds like Antares (red toward the south) and Arcturus (orange, overhead in the evening).
Sorry!
Jul15-09, 03:33 PM
P: 571
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
Sounds like Antares (red toward the south) and Arcturus (orange, overhead in the evening).
After looking at pictures of Antares it does look like it could be what I'm seeing. Although the object I see looks relatively smaller than most of the other stars around it.

And yes I am looking to the south when I see the other object. Pictures of Jupiter do look pretty similar. I'll try to get pictures tonight guys. thanks :D
hypatia
Nov11-09, 09:55 AM
P: 1,298
November is perhaps my favorite month to watch the sky. It of course, is the hunters moon, but Saturn hangs out just to the left of it for the next few days.
Keep a eye out 17th, The Leonid meteor showers peek performance!
bcmarshall
Nov21-09, 02:54 AM
P: 11
Sorry, I'm a newbie here and didn't know how to start a new thread, so I figured I'd post a question in this one since it has a lot of subscribers.

I'm arguing with a friend about how a half-Earth would appear from the Moon. Since we see the Moon in phases, it makes sense that watching the Earth from the Moon would also offer the same phenomenon, Full Earth, Half Earth, New Earth. My question is if one is looking at a Half Earth from the Moon, would the shadow line appear horizontal or vertical.

My belief is that since the Moon is in a roughly equatorial orbit around the Earth, then the equators of the two objects are facing each other, with their axes within a few degrees of being parallel. Since we see the Half Moon as vertical from here, I conclude since there is no mechanism I can envision which would alter the perception, it should appear as a vertical line on the Earth as well.

My friend believes the shadow line should appear horizontally across the Earth.

I'd welcome any comments or explanations.
bcmarshall
Nov21-09, 03:07 AM
My apologies. I figured out too late how to start a new thread and did so. Please post any responses at the other link, http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...28#post2452328

Thanks.
emc2cracker
Feb13-10, 11:12 AM
P: 91
Quote Quote by bcmarshall View Post
Sorry, I'm a newbie here and didn't know how to start a new thread, so I figured I'd post a question in this one since it has a lot of subscribers.

I'm arguing with a friend about how a half-Earth would appear from the Moon. Since we see the Moon in phases, it makes sense that watching the Earth from the Moon would also offer the same phenomenon, Full Earth, Half Earth, New Earth. My question is if one is looking at a Half Earth from the Moon, would the shadow line appear horizontal or vertical.

My belief is that since the Moon is in a roughly equatorial orbit around the Earth, then the equators of the two objects are facing each other, with their axes within a few degrees of being parallel. Since we see the Half Moon as vertical from here, I conclude since there is no mechanism I can envision which would alter the perception, it should appear as a vertical line on the Earth as well.

My friend believes the shadow line should appear horizontally across the Earth.

I'd welcome any comments or explanations.
Thats simple really look at the google results from "earth images from the moon"

http://images.google.com/images?rlz=...ed=0CBgQsAQwAA

hope that helps, a picture is worth a thousand words they say
Telmerk,the Magician
Mar4-10, 01:31 AM
P: 44
Have you heard about that? A huge meteor (bolida) hit the atmosphere in 28th February somewhere in Hungary or Slovakia, at the border. It is possible that some remnants hit the ground as well. A lot of people heard ans saw the blast, there are seismology data as well. These are now under evaluation.

http://www.rtlhirek.hu/video/84397

2 minutes (in Hungarian)
bcmarshall
Mar5-10, 12:25 AM
Thanks. No, I hadn't heard about it. I'm having my Hungarian native uncle translate it for me tomorrow.
Telmerk,the Magician
Mar5-10, 08:06 AM
P: 44
Hi,

I recommend the hirek.csillagaszat.hu website, as a trustworthy source of astronomy news in Hungarian. (non-profit, and the news are edited and reviewed by professional and amateur astronomers together.)

http://hirek.csillagaszat.hu/meteoro...ag-felett.html
Title is: "Now it is clear: a bolid has exploded over Hungary"

Kind regards,
TtM
Mu naught
May27-10, 09:48 PM
P: 212
The moon is in conjunction with Antares right now. Go take a look!
Glennage
May28-10, 03:00 AM
P: 48
Not sure if this counts but... It's an event non-the-less...

Space Weather Message Code: WARSUD
Serial Number: 73
Issue Time: 2010 May 28 0220 UTC

WARNING: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse expected
Valid From: 2010 May 28 0245 UTC
Valid To: 2010 May 28 0345 UTC
IP Shock Passage Observed: 2010 May 28 0203 UTC

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales
http://www2.nict.go.jp/y/y223/simula...ime/index.html

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html
jtstone09
Aug14-10, 03:31 AM
P: 1
I never considered the weather in space to be an event but you never know.
Astronuc
Sep7-10, 10:12 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
Two Asteroids to Pass by Earth Wednesday
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatc...m?release=2725

Asteroids 2010 RX 30 and 2010 RF12 will make their closest approach to Earth this Wed. At time of closest approach for 2010 RX 30 (2:51 a.m. PDT), it will be approximately 154,000 miles (about 248,000 kilometers) above the North Pacific, south of Japan. At time of closest approach for 2010 RF12 30 (2:12 p.m. PDT ), the asteroid will be approximately 49,088 miles (about 79,000 kilometers) above Antarctica.
gau_physics
Oct26-10, 07:29 AM
P: 12
why auroras exist near alaska ??

Its bcoz of something called "Magnetc bottle" phenomenon. Near poles earth's magnetic field lines converge.
AlphaOmega3fa
Dec13-10, 11:04 PM
P: 3
Anyone checking out the Geminid shower?
I believe it starts tonight through 12/15
hypatia
Dec14-10, 01:20 PM
P: 1,298
I was out this morning around 2AM, and lost count after seeing about 30. I believe it was at its peek last night. It was beautiful.
Jonathan Scott
Dec14-10, 01:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,156
Quote Quote by hypatia View Post
I was out this morning around 2AM, and lost count after seeing about 30. I believe it was at its peek last night. It was beautiful.
I had a brief look for 5 minutes last night, through thin patchy cloud, and saw one small flash and one surprisingly bright reddish-orange glowing ball which seemed to move relatively slowly, leaving a bright trail, visible for a few seconds.

Register to reply