Register to reply

Structure of Romantic and Sexual relationship

Share this thread:
Four
Jul15-09, 08:45 PM
P: 36
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
A group of students who hangs out together a lot is likely to date, and in high school, there are a lot of breakups and new partners within that circle of friends without anything sexual happening. Or, at least that's how it was when I was in high school.
Or so it seems ... According to Why Sex is fun? Jared talks about how most of our sex is done privately. Perhaps there was sex but no one "knew".
Pengwuino
Jul15-09, 09:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Moody said the results generate a snapshot of the network of romantic and sexual relations among teens attending the school in this 18-month period –- the first such image of an entire population such as this.
The most striking feature of the network was a single component that connected 52 percent (288) of the romantically involved students at Jefferson. This means student A had relations with student B, who had relations with student C and so on, connecting all 288 of these students.
“From a student’s perspective, a large chain like this would boggle the mind,” Moody said. “They might know that their partner had a previous partner. But they don’t think about the fact that this partner had a previous partner, who had a partner, and so on.

“What this shows, for the first time, is that there are many of these links in a chain, going far beyond what anyone could see and hold in their head.”
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/chains.htm

Looks like it was for a study on STD's so sexual intercourse is assumed i'd think...
Office_Shredder
Jul15-09, 10:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Some guy is with 7 chicks.... nice.

I really do want to know who make up the ring of sex there in the top left.
As I said earlier, if you have people hook up at random you expect to get one large blob and a bunch of smaller figures, so it's not a huge surprise
rootX
Jul15-09, 10:15 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
As I said earlier, if you have people hook up at random you expect to get one large blob and a bunch of smaller figures, so it's not a huge surprise
Oversimplifying the process of getting hooked up?

Try that.
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 10:18 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by maverick_starstrider View Post
Ya, there appears to be one girl who gets around.
He was talking about the homosexual relationship. There is only one.
Office_Shredder
Jul15-09, 10:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
Oversimplifying the process of getting hooked up?

Try that.
Yes I am, but you shouldn't go looking for special meaning into the big circle, because there's probably something similiar in every group just by probability
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 10:31 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
I really do want to know who make up the ring of sex there in the top left.
I am pretty sure that the appearance of those connectons as a ring is an artifact of arbitrary organization. While factual, it has little meaning.

If you have a random set of dots laid out and make random connections, you get topological data minus spatial organization. Then you manually arrange all those branches and nodes to be as visually organized as possible, it will disproportionately highlight things like this. It's just unavoidable.

On a loosely-related note, the organization of connections in space has little meaning elsewhere too. Note that several of the structures in the lower left are toplogically very similar, yet they have been represented with completely different configurations.

[ Edit: Doh! ]
you shouldn't go looking for special meaning into the big circle, because there's probably something similiar in every group just by probability
Pengwuino
Jul15-09, 10:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Well it seems like they're trying to show how diseases could spread, is it possible the big connection is important when looking at how something could spread amongst people?
lisab
Jul15-09, 10:44 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
He was talking about the homosexual relationship. There is only one.
I see three. One female-female, two male-male.
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 10:50 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I see three. One female-female, two male-male.
I fail.

I still see only one: male-male. Far NE "corner" of ring.
lisab
Jul15-09, 10:57 PM
Mentor
I fail.

I still see only one: male-male. Far NE "corner" of ring.
The other male-male is actually on the ring...the SE part.

Then there's a female-female on a triangle that's not on the ring...in the NE section of the graphic.
mcknia07
Jul15-09, 11:05 PM
P: 321
Wow, talk about kids being active now-a-days... Hahaha
Phrak
Jul15-09, 11:14 PM
P: 4,512
The key words in the web page are "romantic" and "observed". This indicates that the snoops taking data are not asking questions about sex, but looking for hand-holding and kissing n' similar stuff. They've been given (hopefully) some criterion to judge 'romantic relationship'.
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 11:16 PM
Mph. Still not seeing it. Then again, they're pretty mashed together. I may be discounting an intersection of dots that you are considering a valid link.

Quote Quote by mcknia07 View Post
Wow, talk about kids being active now-a-days... Hahaha
I dunno, I had 3 gfs before leaving HS (and 3 more with HS students once I was in college, but they don't count those in the graph).

[ EDIT:omg, did I just commit braggery? ]
lisab
Jul15-09, 11:29 PM
Mentor

Yes I agree, it's sort of bunched up in that corner. But the fact that there's an odd number (37) gives it away.
mcknia07
Jul15-09, 11:38 PM
P: 321
I dunno, I had 3 gfs before leaving HS (and 3 more with HS students once I was in college, but they don't count those in the graph).

[ EDIT:omg, did I just commit braggery? ]
Ohm, I'm tellin'...... Well maybe I just wasn't cool or attractive in high school. I never had any boyfriends. It's so not the case anymore well the boyfriend part, I'm still unattractive, lol.
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 11:42 PM

Ah. I see the problem. You meant the other SE corner - i.e. SW.
DaveC426913
Jul15-09, 11:44 PM
Quote Quote by mcknia07 View Post
Ohm, I'm tellin'...... Well maybe I just wasn't cool or attractive in high school. I never had any boyfriends. It's so not the case anymore well the boyfriend part, I'm still unattractive, lol.
I'm pretty sure your pic is there in the Member photo thread, and unless I'm disremembering, it wasn't something to sneeze at.

omg, did you just commit fishing-ery?

Register to reply