Insanely ridiculous how much these college coaches make

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, a study by USA TODAY has found that the average salary for head coaches at top-level NCAA schools is $950,000, with at least 42 coaches earning $1 million or more. Many coaches, including those at top-ranked schools, are earning upwards of $2 million, while some are receiving one-time payments and incentive bonuses that can push their total compensation to over $4 million. This is significantly higher than what most college professors make, who are the main contributors to the academic and research quality of the university. Some argue that if coaches are receiving such high salaries, then players should also be compensated. Additionally, there are concerns about the excessive spending on athletic facilities and amenities for teams, while other areas of the university suffer
Benzoate
Look at this article from USA today:

Contracts for college coaches cover more than salaries
By Jodi Upton and Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
Pick any numbers you like to define college football's premier teams - points scored, yards allowed.

Or the big money earned by their coaches.

The sport's dizzying salaries spiral has come to this, a USA TODAY study finds: The million-dollar coach, once a rarity, is now the norm. Head coaches at the NCAA's top-level schools are making an average of $950,000 this year, not counting benefits, incentives, subsidized housing or any of the perks they routinely receive. At least 42 of the 119 Division I-A coaches are earning $1 million or more this year, up from five in 1999.

Jim Tressel, coach of No. 1-ranked Ohio State, and Mack Brown, who steered Texas to the national championship a year ago, are among the nine coaches making more than $2 million. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz will pocket a guaranteed $4.6 million in an atypical 13-month period ending next June, including $1.8 million in one-time payments. With the incentive bonuses he still can earn, he could push his take to more than $4.7 million. That's the most among the 107 coaches for whom USA TODAY could obtain a contract or other official document showing compensation.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm

These coaches have salaries higher than what most college professors make. I know the college athletic industry helps generate revenue for the university, but sports is not improve the overall quality of the university , nor does it even contribute to the academic and research quality of the university. Its the professors who publish research and conduct research who are the main central forces in improving the research and academic quality of the university and sadly professors generally make an eighth of what a typical college NCAA coach makes.

If coaches are going to received an insane amount of money for helping that university basketball team go to the NCAA, then I think the players deserved a fee as well. I would not suggest the basket ball players get paid if the coaches were making a more reasonable salary because college sports is supposed to be an extracurricular activity and should be treated like any other college extracurricular activity. . The coach alone is not winning the team game, the players are instrumental in determining the outcome of the basketball game.

You think college players should received a fee if the coach is paid a big paycheck? I know some student athletes received a full scholarship to college if they agree to play on the school basketball team, but not all student athletes received that privilege Or should a basketball coach have their salary drastically reduced?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whats even more ridiculous is that this University is building an "Academic Learning Center" for the football team, at the cost of $13 million, which ordinary students can't use. Why can't those guys study at the library like everyone else for gods sake! I've got 2 big problems with athletics at big schools: One, the money that is generated in the athletics departments stays in the athletics department, the general Uni never sees a penny. In fact, there are lots of athletic departments that loose money for the school. Two, they beg for donations to build new stadiums etc, and when those wealthy donors are asked again for a donation for a new telescope or new science center, they say "Oh, well we already made our contribution to the University for the Academic Learning Center. . ."

Personally, I would love to see a rule mandating that the highest paid person at the Uni would have to be a Phd, not a coach or the athletics director. At most schools, the athletics director makes much more than any Phd.

Yeah, because America favors sports over education...

What is the average salary of a college coach?

The average salary of a college coach varies depending on the sport and the level of competition. However, according to a study by USA Today, the average salary for a head coach in Division I college football is $2.7 million, while the average salary for a head coach in Division I college basketball is $2.2 million.

How do college coaches' salaries compare to other professions?

College coaches' salaries are significantly higher than the average salary for other professions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for all occupations in the United States is $51,960, while the average salary for a head coach in Division I college football is almost 52 times higher at $2.7 million.

Why do college coaches make so much money?

College coaches' salaries are based on the market value of their services. As college sports have become increasingly popular and profitable, the demand for top coaches has also increased. Universities are willing to pay top salaries to attract and retain successful coaches who can bring in revenue through winning seasons and successful recruitment of top players.

Do college coaches' salaries have an impact on the cost of education?

There is debate over whether or not college coaches' salaries have a direct impact on the cost of education. While some argue that these high salaries can strain university budgets and contribute to rising tuition costs, others argue that athletic programs can bring in significant revenue and help support other areas of the university.

Are college coaches' salaries justified?

The justification for college coaches' salaries is a highly debated topic. On one hand, some argue that these salaries are necessary to attract top coaching talent and generate revenue for the university. On the other hand, others question the ethics of paying coaches such high salaries while student-athletes often receive no compensation for their contributions to the university's athletic programs.