Swap batteries between an experiment and a charger

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a switch that can seamlessly switch batteries between an experiment and a charger. The desired switch should disconnect certain inputs and outputs in a specific order before connecting them in a parallel manner and then disconnecting them altogether. The switch is referred to as a "programmable" switch and the person is curious if there is a specific company that produces this type of switch. The suggested solution is to use knife switches, specifically the "make before break" type. These can be purchased at a company called Filnor, but may require some tweaking to fit the desired functionality.
0xDEADBEEF
I would like a switch to seamlessly swap batteries between an experiment and a charger. Here is the description of the switch I am looking for.

Originally I1 is connected to O1, I2 to O2 and so on. On turning the switch these things should happen in order:

1.) I3 and I4 are disconnected from O3 and O4 (battery 2 taken of charger)
2.) I3 and I4 are connected to O1 and O2 in parallel to I1 and I2 (make before break)
3.) I1 and I2 are disconnected from O1 and O2 (experiment is now on battery 2)
4.) I1 and I2 are connected to O3 and O4 (attaching battery 1 to charger)

Where can I buy it:approve:? is there a name for this? Is there a company that produces "programmable" switches?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Sounds like a good application for a couple of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_switch" . Here's a link where you can buy them:
http://www.filnor.com/"
They make "make before break" knife switches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those have this great mad scientist retro chic, but it seems I would have to tweak them a lot to make them work the way I want.

1. Can I use any type of battery for my experiment?

It is important to use the recommended type of battery for your specific experiment. Using a different type of battery may affect the results and could potentially be dangerous.

2. Can I charge my experiment battery with any charger?

No, it is important to use the recommended charger for your experiment battery. Using a different charger may damage the battery or cause it to not charge properly.

3. Can I use the same charger for multiple experiment batteries?

Yes, as long as the charger is compatible with all of the batteries. However, it is recommended to have a separate charger for each battery to ensure proper charging and to prevent any potential damage.

4. How do I know when my experiment battery is fully charged?

Most chargers have an indicator light that will turn off or change color when the battery is fully charged. You can also refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific charging times.

5. Is it safe to leave my experiment battery charging overnight?

It is generally not recommended to leave any battery charging unattended, especially overnight. This can potentially cause overcharging and damage to the battery. It is best to monitor the charging process and unplug the battery once it is fully charged.