Register to reply

Conservation of Angular Momentum Using the Hamiltonian

Share this thread:
physics2018
Oct15-09, 09:00 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The Hamiltonian for a particle mass m, moving in a central force field is given as: H = 1/(2m) * |p^2| - V(r). Take the Hamiltonian to be invariant, such that it can be shown that L = r x p the angular momentum vector is a conserved quantity: dL/dt = {L,H} = 0.

2. Relevant equations
q_i-dot = dH/dp_i and p_i-dot = - dH/dq_i

3. The attempt at a solution
I do not understand how to go about solving the following problem ( I think I understand what the Hamiltonian is, but I do not understand how to from it to what needs to be proven) To solve the problem I believe I need to get from Hamiltonian's equations to Lagrange's p_i = dL/dx_i-dot and then from there use p-dot * dr + p * dr-dot = 0 where dr is defined as the distance between two vectors r and r+dr.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
gabbagabbahey
Oct15-09, 05:36 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,004
Hi physics2018, welcome to PF!

Quote Quote by physics2018 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The Hamiltonian for a particle mass m, moving in a central force field is given as: H = 1/(2m) * |p^2| - V(r). Take the Hamiltonian to be invariant, such that it can be shown that L = r x p the angular momentum vector is a conserved quantity: dL/dt = {L,H} = 0.

2. Relevant equations
q_i-dot = dH/dp_i and p_i-dot = - dH/dq_i

3. The attempt at a solution
I do not understand how to go about solving the following problem ( I think I understand what the Hamiltonian is, but I do not understand how to from it to what needs to be proven) To solve the problem I believe I need to get from Hamiltonian's equations to Lagrange's p_i = dL/dx_i-dot and then from there use p-dot * dr + p * dr-dot = 0 where dr is defined as the distance between two vectors r and r+dr.
Well, since you are asked to show that [itex]\frac{d\textbf{L}}{dt}=\{\textbf{L},H\}=0[/itex], why not start by computing [itex]\{\textbf{L},H\}[/itex]?

Register to reply