Operator that commutes with the Hamiltonian

In summary: Hence, some eigenvectors of ##L^2## are not eigenvectors of ##L_z##.In summary, the z-component of angular momentum operator L_z commutes with the Hamiltonian in the case of the quantum harmonic oscillator in 3D. This implies that the variance of L_z is zero, as an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian must also be an eigenstate of any operator that commutes with it. However, if there is degeneracy in the spectrum, some eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian may not be eigenvectors of L_z.
Riemann9471
Homework Statement
In the case of the quantum harmonic oscillator in 3D , does the z-component of the angular momentum of a particle commute with the Hamiltonian? Does the fundamental state has a well defined value of L_z (variance = 0) ? If you said no , why? If you said yes , what is the value?
Relevant Equations
L_z = x p_y - y p_x (position and impulsion in x and y direction)
Homework Statement: In the case of the quantum harmonic oscillator in 3D , does the z-component of the angular momentum of a particle commute with the Hamiltonian? Does the fundamental state has a well defined value of L_z (variance = 0) ? If you said no , why? If you said yes , what is the value?
Homework Equations: L_z = x p_y - y p_x (position and impulsion in x and y direction)

So I was able to prove that the z component of angular momentum operator L_z = (x p_y - y p_x) (They are all operators ) commute with Hamiltonian, but now I struggle to explain why it implie that the variance of the operator L_z is zero. I could compute it and prove that , in the case of the harmonic oscillator in 3D , the variance is 0 by computing the expectation value of L_z and (L_z)^2 , but that would be a lot of work and I know that there's a simple explanation to why the variance of an operator that commute with the Hamiltonian is 0 , but I don't see it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
The question should say "Say there exists an eigenstate of energy or Hamiltonian. CAN this eigenstate of enerygy be an eigenstate of L_z?" It CAN be but not always is. The eigenstate of energy whose L_z has not zero variance takes place.

For an example, for free particle H=p^2/2m, obviously [H,p]=0.
|p>,|-p> and a|p>+b|-p> are all energy eigenstates. The last one is not an eigenstate of momentum.

Last edited:
The question relates to common eigenstates of commuting observables.

You don't need to actually calculate the variance to figure out the result. There are symmetry considerations you can use.

Riemann9471 said:
Homework Statement: In the case of the quantum harmonic oscillator in 3D , does the z-component of the angular momentum of a particle commute with the Hamiltonian? Does the fundamental state has a well defined value of L_z (variance = 0) ? If you said no , why? If you said yes , what is the value?
Homework Equations: L_z = x p_y - y p_x (position and impulsion in x and y direction)

So I was able to prove that the z component of angular momentum operator L_z = (x p_y - y p_x) (They are all operators ) commute with Hamiltonian, but now I struggle to explain why it implie that the variance of the operator L_z is zero. I could compute it and prove that , in the case of the harmonic oscillator in 3D , the variance is 0 by computing the expectation value of L_z and (L_z)^2 , but that would be a lot of work and I know that there's a simple explanation to why the variance of an operator that commute with the Hamiltonian is 0 , but I don't see it.
If two operators commute, then they have a common eigenbasis. I.e. you can find a basis of eigenvectors of both operators. Now, unless you have degeneracy of the spectrum, this means that an eigenvector of one is an eigenvector of the other.

In this case, unless you have degeneracy of the "fundamental" state, this eigenstate of the Hamiltonian must be an eigenstate of any operator that commutes with it.

For an example of the degenerate case, consider the angular monentum operators ##L^2## and ##L_z##. The spectrum of ##L^2## is degenerate. I.e. the eigenspace associated with certain eigenvalues is multi-dimensional. The ##L_z## operator, although it commutes with ##L^2##, may have several different eigenvalues on this eigenspace of ##L^2##.

1. What is an operator that commutes with the Hamiltonian?

An operator that commutes with the Hamiltonian is an operator that yields the same result when it operates on the wavefunction of a system as when the Hamiltonian operates on the same wavefunction. This means that the operator and the Hamiltonian can be applied in any order without changing the final state of the system.

2. Why is it important for an operator to commute with the Hamiltonian?

When an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian, it means that the operator represents a physical quantity that is conserved over time. This is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system and understand the underlying symmetries and laws that govern it.

3. How can you determine if an operator commutes with the Hamiltonian?

The commutator of an operator with the Hamiltonian can be calculated by taking the product of the operator and the Hamiltonian and subtracting the product of the Hamiltonian and the operator. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operator commutes with the Hamiltonian.

4. What is the significance of an operator not commuting with the Hamiltonian?

If an operator does not commute with the Hamiltonian, it means that the quantity it represents is not conserved over time. This can lead to interesting and complex dynamics in a system, and it may require more advanced mathematical techniques to study and understand.

5. Can two operators commute with each other but not with the Hamiltonian?

Yes, two operators can commute with each other but not with the Hamiltonian. This means that while the operators can be applied in any order without changing the final state of the system, the overall state of the system may still be affected by the Hamiltonian.