Need help understanding the twins

by Malorie
Tags: twins
Share this thread:
cfrogue
Dec2-09, 09:10 PM
P: 687
Quote Quote by Al68 View Post
LOL. Are you aware that length contraction is a major part of SR?
LOL, what is that?
JesseM
Dec2-09, 09:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,470
Quote Quote by cfrogue View Post
Yes, maybe read this to yourself.

You can already tell I understand SR.
No, I certainly wouldn't agree with that, you seem to understand some things but then you make really basic mistakes, like arguing that the past light cone would not look like a contracting light sphere if you plotted it over time. If you want to understand SR, I think you really need to find a text that develops it in a step-by-step manner (this is a good one to start with) rather than relying on various bits and pieces of information you've picked up on wikipedia or whatever (you also need how to learn how to use Minkowski diagrams, there's a good primer here from this online book which would be another good step-by-step introduction). But I think you will refuse to accept that there are major holes in your understanding and will continue to forge ahead with ignorant arguments, totally self-confident that you are onto something and that everyone who disagrees with you is mistaken. A while ago some psychologists discovered that the people with the poorest understanding in a subject were the ones most likely to overestimate their understanding, precisely because they lacked the knowledge to see how little they knew; this is known as the Dunning-Kruger effect, as analyzed in the paper Unskilled and Unaware of it. Your posts on relativity seem to be a fine example of this.
Quote Quote by cfrogue
Anyway, you said I was stupid.
No, in fact I did not, I said your argument was stupid and that's all that I meant (if you want my real opinion of you, I think you are probably fairly intelligent but suffering from the type of overselfconfidence issue discussed above). But you love to tell me I'm wrong about the content of my own statements and opinions, apparently.
cfrogue
Dec2-09, 09:15 PM
P: 687
Quote Quote by JesseM View Post
No, I certainly wouldn't agree with that, you seem to understand some things but then you make really basic mistakes, like arguing that the past light cone would not look like a contracting light sphere if you plotted it over time. If you want to understand SR, I think you really need to find a text that develops it in a step-by-step manner (this is a good one to start with) rather than relying on various bits and pieces of information you've picked up on wikipedia or whatever (you also need how to learn how to use Minkowski diagrams, there's a good primer here from this online book which would be another good step-by-step introduction). But I think you will refuse to accept that there are major holes in your understanding and will continue to forge ahead with ignorant arguments, totally self-confident that you are onto something and that everyone who disagrees with you is mistaken. A while ago some psychologists discovered that the people with the poorest understanding in a subject were the ones most likely to overestimate their understanding, precisely because they lacked the knowledge to see how little they knew; this is known as the Dunning-Kruger effect, as analyzed in the paper Unskilled and Unaware of it. Your posts on relativity seem to be a fine example of this.

No, in fact I did not, I said your argument was stupid and that's all that I meant (if you want my real opinion of you, I think you are probably fairly intelligent but suffering from the type of overselfconfidence issue discussed above). But you love to tell me I'm wrong about the content of my own statements and opinions, apparently.
Yea, anyway, let's operate in the sphere thread with this logic.

Register to reply