Full body scans for US bound flights

by tmyer2107
Tags: body, bound, flights, scans
tmyer2107
Dec30-09, 09:15 AM
P: 84
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...hol/index.html

Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport will start using full body scans for US bound flights. I remember seeing this technology in its early stages a few years ago and remember the privacy issues. I am glad to see it actually going into use. I think they should have it at all airports and use it at random, kind of like the pre-boarding searches. The people that are agaisnt it because of the privacy issues would be very unhappy if all the airports suddenly switched to this technology, the random searches would be a good starting point. I am all for every airport using it. I value my safety more than my privacy.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
mheslep
Dec30-09, 09:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Quote Quote by tmyer2107 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...hol/index.html

Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport will start using full body scans for US bound flights. I remember seeing this technology in its early stages a few years ago and remember the privacy issues. I am glad to see it actually going into use. I think they should have it at all airports and use it at random, kind of like the pre-boarding searches. The people that are agaisnt it because of the privacy issues would be very unhappy if all the airports suddenly switched to this technology, the random searches would be a good starting point. I am all for every airport using it.
It may be necessary, but I am not 'glad' that this is so.

I value my safety more than my privacy.
Keep up that policy for too long and we may end up loosing both.
lisab
Dec30-09, 09:20 AM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Great, so now underwear bombers know to fly out of Paris or London instead of Amsterdam .

tmyer2107
Dec30-09, 09:25 AM

Full body scans for US bound flights

Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
Keep up that policy for too long and we may end up loosing both.
True, I should have been more precise in my statement. I don't want this discussion to spin off into privacy issues related to the patriot act, etc. I just don't mind going through a full body scanner in an airport. It is clear that the explosives the terrorists are going to use will not be picked up by our current methods.
jtbell
Dec30-09, 09:59 AM
Mentor
P: 11,228
The ultimate solution: eliminate all carry-on baggage, make all airline passengers check in all their baggage and clothing, and fly in the nude.
lisab
Dec30-09, 10:03 AM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
The ultimate solution: eliminate all carry-on baggage, make all airline passengers check in all their baggage and clothing, and fly in the nude.
...because getting stuck in a middle seat between two fully-clothed large people isn't bad enough.
Astronuc
Dec30-09, 10:06 AM
Admin
P: 21,628
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
That still leaves the possibility of using implanted or internal explosives.

What we need is incorporeal transportation.

As the Moody Blues sang "See with your mind, leave your body behind" (from Sun Is Still Shining, To Our Children's Children's Children)
Greg Bernhardt
Dec30-09, 10:07 AM
Admin
P: 8,534
Will they scan children?
tmyer2107
Dec30-09, 10:16 AM
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Will they scan children?
Thats a good question. I'm assuming the answer is yes since it says all passengers will be scanned.
Monique
Dec30-09, 10:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
.. in addition all passengers will be thoroughly padded down by security personnel. I find a body search more intrusive than a scan that is only judged by computer software.
Astronuc
Dec30-09, 11:02 AM
Admin
From the article

The millimeter-wave body scanners will be in place in about three weeks, Dutch Interior Minister Guusje ter Horst told a news conference at The Hague.

The scanners will be permanent at Schiphol, and any passengers bound for the United States who do not go through them will be bodysearched, ter Horst said.
mm-wave implier IR, i.e. thermal imaging, which perhaps is passive, as opposed to active/invasive scanning, e.g., x-ray or neutron radiography.
Monique
Dec30-09, 11:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
I misread, the coming three weeks all passengers will be bodysearched (including the crotch, so be warned ), after that everyone will go through the scan.
Astronuc
Dec30-09, 11:21 AM
Admin
I have nothing to hide!

or nothing but hide.
Borek
Dec30-09, 11:25 AM
Admin
P: 22,666
Perhaps we should allow for separate planes for those that don't want to be scanned?
f95toli
Dec30-09, 11:28 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,197
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
mm-wave implier IR, i.e. thermal imaging, which perhaps is passive, as opposed to active/invasive scanning, e.g., x-ray or neutron radiography.
No, the systems are probably active (there is a radiation source). Most of them are based around far-IR (a few THz) so it is not really thermal imaging in the usual sense.
And no, they will not detect explosives, it is basically a camera that can see through most fabrics but it is till possible to hide explosives.
There are techniques for spectroscopy in the THz range that can detect the "fingerprint" of some explosives but they are still being developed and wont be ready for deployment for a number of years,
Greg Bernhardt
Dec30-09, 11:31 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
(including the crotch, so be warned )
depending on the agent, I may opt to go through security a few times just to be sure!
Mech_Engineer
Dec30-09, 11:47 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
I'm not sure that a THz scan is any more intrusive from a privacy standpoint than X-ray scans of your luggage, or asking for your personal information when you buy the ticket, or randomly searching your luggage.

So the agents see you "nude," do we really have to be so prude about it?
Greg Bernhardt
Dec30-09, 11:49 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
So the agents see you "nude," do we really have to be so prude about it?
I wouldn't want an agent looking at my 6 year old daughter or son!

Register to reply