Register to reply

Some Black Hole Questions

by Aeronaut
Tags: big bang, black holes
Share this thread:
Aeronaut
Jan8-10, 10:25 PM
P: 2
I'm a newbie to astrophysics you could say, and I have had a few questions lingering around in my head.
So in this situation the universe hasn't been destroyed yet, but much of it has been "eaten" by black holes.

Question 1: Is it possible for BH's to swallow all matter in the universe, or would there be an energy limit/ other limits?

Question 2: If it is possible for question 1 to occur, then if all matter has been condensed into one massive black hole would it shrink rapidly due to Hawking's radiation (I'm not to sure about how Hawking's radiation works)?

Question 3: Since the universe has been reduced to a singularity, would this be similar to the universe pre Big Bang? If so, then would it have infinite temp and density?

I understand if this sounds completely asinine to some of the experts/vets here.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
Next-generation Thirty Meter Telescope begins construction in Hawaii
Comet Jacques makes a 'questionable' appearance
nicksauce
Jan8-10, 11:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,275
1) Hypothetically I see nothing preventing it, as long as you are talking about matter that can be in causal contact with the black hole. However this is in no way a realistic scenario.

2) No. More massive black holes evaporate slower than lower mass black holes. The evaporation time scale for a solar mass black hole is about 10^67 years, and this time scale goes up with the cube of the mass.

3) We don't know, right now, what the universe was like before the big bang (or even if that is a sensible question to ask), so there is no way to compare that to anything else.
Aeronaut
Jan8-10, 11:19 PM
P: 2
Thanks guys, it was just something that bugged me for a while.
I'll be sure to pick up a few books about astrophysics for leisure, it's pretty interesting.

Register to reply