Electrostatic force question with coulombs law

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two particles, with charges of +4.20 x 10^-6 C and -1.70 x 10^-6 C, respectively, and a distance of 12.0 cm between them. Using Coulomb's law, the correct calculation is (8.99 x 10^9)(4.20 x 10^-6)(1.70 x 10^-6) / (.12)^2 = 4.457 N. The mistake was in assuming the force would be negative, when in fact the problem asks for the magnitude, which is always positive.
bofford4

Homework Statement

A particle of charge of +4.20 x 10^-6 C is 12.0 cm distant from a second particle of charge of -1.70 x 10^-6 C. Calculate the magnitude of the electrostatic force between the particles.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law is F = (K*Q1*Q2) / R^2 where k = 8.99*10^9, q1 and q2 are the charges, and R is the distance in meters

The Attempt at a Solution

Im hoping I am just making a simple mistake and not seeing it for this question cause this really seems like plug and chug.

K Q1 Q2 R
so I did (8.99 x 10^9)(4.20x10^-6)(-1.70x10^-6) / (.12)^2

= -4.457 N

that gave me a wrong answer so i tried different variations of putting the decimal like -4457.541, 44.57 and -44.57. What am i doing wrong, i might have just fudged up since I'm doing this by hand but I'm not seeing it. Either that or I have done something fundamentally wrong and don't know any better. It's been a while since I've done a class like this so any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks the magnitude of the force, which is positive. The number itself is good.

ehild

heh well like i said it's been awhile, I kept thinking since they attracted the force would be negative. Thanks a lot though, guess i just needed a second pair of eyes

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a mathematical equation that describes the electrostatic force between two charged objects. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is electrostatic force calculated using Coulomb's law?

To calculate the electrostatic force between two charged objects, we use the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the two objects in meters.

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force is Newtons (N). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

How does distance affect electrostatic force?

According to Coulomb's law, the electrostatic force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.