Electrostatic force question with coulombs law

by bofford4
Tags: coulumbs, electrostatic, law, magnitude
Share this thread:
bofford4
Jan11-10, 11:30 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of charge of +4.20 x 10^-6 C is 12.0 cm distant from a second particle of charge of -1.70 x 10^-6 C. Calculate the magnitude of the electrostatic force between the particles.

2. Relevant equations

Coulombs law is F = (K*Q1*Q2) / R^2 where k = 8.99*10^9, q1 and q2 are the charges, and R is the distance in meters

3. The attempt at a solution

Im hoping im just making a simple mistake and not seeing it for this question cause this really seems like plug and chug.

K Q1 Q2 R
so I did (8.99 x 10^9)(4.20x10^-6)(-1.70x10^-6) / (.12)^2

= -4.457 N

that gave me a wrong answer so i tried different variations of putting the decimal like -4457.541, 44.57 and -44.57. What am i doing wrong, i might have just fudged up since I'm doing this by hand but I'm not seeing it. Either that or I have done something fundamentally wrong and don't know any better. It's been a while since I've done a class like this so any help is appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
ehild
Jan11-10, 11:53 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 10,383
The problem asks the magnitude of the force, which is positive. The number itself is good.

ehild
bofford4
Jan12-10, 01:58 AM
P: 3
heh well like i said it's been awhile, I kept thinking since they attracted the force would be negative. Thanks a lot though, guess i just needed a second pair of eyes

Register to reply