Dependence of Coulomb's law on the medium

In summary, the textbook does not mention the effect of the polarization of the medium on the force between the charges, but Hyperphysics does. This discrepancy suggests that Coulomb may not have explicitly considered this effect when writing his law.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I read in my textbook that the force exerted by a charged particle q1 on another charged particle q2 does not depend on the medium between them. Yet we multiply ε by ε(r) in coulomb's law when there is a medium present between the particles. Can someone please explain this contradictory things to me? Thank you.

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2
k=1/4πε*ε(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Conceptual question

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I read in my textbook that the force exerted by a charged particle q1 on another charged particle q2 does not depend on the medium between them.
I think you may have been mis-informed, or your textbook simply does not consider this issue. Most elementary books don't.
See this link. http://autodock.scripps.edu/resources/science/coulombs_law
or https://www.tau.ac.il/~tsirel/dump/Static/knowino.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law.html
or http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age1.../Electrostatics/text/Coulomb's_Law/index.html

Merlin3189 said:
I think you may have been mis-informed, or your textbook simply does not consider this issue. Most elementary books don't.
See this link. http://autodock.scripps.edu/resources/science/coulombs_law
or https://www.tau.ac.il/~tsirel/dump/Static/knowino.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law.html
or http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Electricity and magnetism/Electrostatics/text/Coulomb's_Law/index.html
Thank you very much, it seems from these links that it depends on the medium without a doubt. They were very informative.

I'm no expert on this. It just seems obvious that ε0 should apply only in vacuum or approximately in air, etc. So I looked for confirmation.
Interestingly, Hyperphysics, which I look to as an authoritative source, gives Coulombs law as if it applies only in a vacuum - no mention of ε or εr, only ε0. Perhaps Coulomb never thought about this?
But whether it's his original law or not, the true relationship must involve εr when the medium is not a vacuum.

Likes Delta2
Merlin3189 said:
I'm no expert on this. It just seems obvious that ε0 should apply only in vacuum or approximately in air, etc. So I looked for confirmation.
Interestingly, Hyperphysics, which I look to as an authoritative source, gives Coulombs law as if it applies only in a vacuum - no mention of ε or εr, only ε0. Perhaps Coulomb never thought about this?
But whether it's his original law or not, the true relationship must involve εr when the medium is not a vacuum.
I have a slight memory of reading that the force due to the source charge doesn't change- rather the medium due to polarization(?*not sure) changes the net force on the test particle...I'm not sure about this, I just have a faint recollection

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I have a slight memory of reading that the force due to the source charge doesn't change- rather the medium due to polarization(?*not sure) changes the net force on the test particle...I'm not sure about this, I just have a faint recollection
Does anyone have more insight on this? @Charles Link @Delta2

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Yes I think that is correct, the medium is polarized due to the charges and thus the electric field is different than if the medium was pure vacuum, and thus the net force on the particle is different than if the medium was pure vacuum.
So yes maybe strictly speaking your book is correct afterall, the coulomb force between two charges does not depend on the medium, but the net force that one charge will feel due to the presence of the other depends on the medium. The difference between the net force and the coulomb force is due to the sum of coulomb forces between the molecules of the polarized medium and the charge.

Delta2 said:
Yes I think that is correct, the medium is polarized due to the charges and thus the electric field is different than if the medium was pure vacuum, and thus the net force on the particle is different than if the medium was pure vacuum.
So yes maybe strictly speaking your book is correct afterall, the coulomb force between two charges does not depend on the medium, but the net force that one charge will feel due to the presence of the other depends on the medium. The difference between the net force and the coulomb force is due to the sum of coulomb forces between the molecules of the polarized medium and the charge.
Alright! seems like I haven't forgotten everything yet. What do I mark in an exam though? could I dispute it if they decided to say my answer is incorrect...by the way if you want to take a look at the jee paper for reference perhaps- here's a link
http://iitjee.vidyalankar.org/jee-main/JEE-MAIN-2018-Paper-and-Solution.pdf
Its easy enough...I just can't complete it in time

Well it all depends how exactly the coulomb force is defined in your book.

If it is defined as the force that each charge feels due to the presence of the other in the vacuum, or it gives the formula ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac {q_1q_2}{r^2}## then your book is correct and this force doesn't change since we say in the definition that it is the force in the vacuum.

However if your book defines the coulomb force in a way similar to the following text
"The force that each charge feels due to the presence of the other" then this force also depends on the medium in which the two charges are, since the medium gets polarized and the polarization changes the electric field that each charge feels due to the presence of the other comparing to the case that both charges where in vacuum. In this case with a medium present the formula ##F=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}## where ##\epsilon_r## the dielectric constant of the medium, is an approximation for where one of the two charges is negligible small and its electric field doesn't affect the polarization of the medium.

Last edited:

1. How does the medium affect the strength of Coulomb's law?

The medium can affect the strength of Coulomb's law by changing the dielectric constant, which is a measure of how easily electric fields can pass through a material. Materials with high dielectric constants will weaken the electric field and therefore the force between charged particles, while materials with low dielectric constants will strengthen the electric field and increase the force.

2. Does Coulomb's law apply to all types of mediums?

Yes, Coulomb's law applies to all types of mediums as long as they are electrically neutral. However, the strength of the electric field and the force between charged particles may vary depending on the dielectric constant of the medium.

3. How does the distance between charged particles affect Coulomb's law in different mediums?

The distance between charged particles affects Coulomb's law in different mediums by changing the amount of electric field lines passing through the medium. In a medium with a high dielectric constant, the electric field lines will be weaker and more spread out, resulting in a weaker force between charged particles at a given distance. In a medium with a low dielectric constant, the electric field lines will be stronger and more concentrated, resulting in a stronger force between charged particles at a given distance.

4. Is the medium a factor in determining the direction of the electric force between charged particles?

No, the medium does not play a role in determining the direction of the electric force between charged particles. Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged particles is always along the line connecting them.

5. How does the medium affect the permittivity constant in Coulomb's law?

The permittivity constant, also known as the electric constant, is a fundamental constant in Coulomb's law that determines the strength of the electric force between charged particles. The medium affects the permittivity constant by changing the dielectric constant, which is a multiplier for the permittivity constant. A higher dielectric constant will result in a lower permittivity constant and a weaker electric force, while a lower dielectric constant will result in a higher permittivity constant and a stronger electric force.