Can I do expectation like this

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the expected value of a variable y, which is a function of a normal variable x. The speaker suggests using the density function of x to substitute into the integral, but the other person offers a cleaner approach using the linearity of the expected value function. They also mention the relationship between the expected value and variance of a variable.
aegea
Many thanks in advance

Suppose x is normal variable x~N(a,b)
and y=160*x^2
I need calculate E(y)=∫yf(y)d(y)
f(y) is the density function of y
how can I write it as an integral of x since we know x's distribution, I mean use the density function of x to substitute the original integral

Can I just use E(y)=E(160 x^2)= ∫ 160 x^2 f(x) d(x)
then I can use f(x), which is the density function of normal.

Seems right, but seems wrong, seems I use f(x) to substitute x directly!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it the way you suggested (it is logically correct), but I believe it will make more work for yourself (but I didn't look at it because there is a cleaner way).

Here are a few hints that should help:

Remember that the expected value function is a linear operator so

[tex] E(Y)=E(160X^2)=160E(X^2) [/tex]

and

[tex] V(X)=E(X^2)-[E(X)]^2 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. Can I use expectation to predict the outcome of my experiment?

Expectation is a statistical concept that can be used to calculate the predicted value of a random variable. If your experiment involves a random variable, then yes, you can use expectation to predict the outcome. However, keep in mind that the predicted value is not a guarantee and the actual outcome may differ.

2. How do I calculate the expectation of a random variable?

The expectation of a random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and then summing all the values together. This can be represented by the formula E(X) = ∑xP(X=x), where X is the random variable and P(X=x) is the probability of X taking on the value x.

3. Can expectation be used for any type of data?

Expectation can be used for any type of data as long as it involves a random variable. This includes data from experiments, surveys, and observations. However, the data must follow a specific probability distribution in order for the expectation to be calculated accurately.

4. Is expectation the same as the average or mean?

No, expectation is not the same as the average or mean. While both expectation and average are measures of central tendency, they are calculated differently. The average is calculated by summing all the values and dividing by the number of values, while expectation takes into account the probabilities of each value.

5. What is the significance of expectation in scientific research?

Expectation is an important concept in scientific research as it allows researchers to make predictions and draw conclusions from their data. It also helps in understanding the likelihood of certain outcomes and can be used to compare different experimental conditions. Additionally, expectation is used in many statistical methods such as hypothesis testing and regression analysis.