How should I use the Jacobi equation to determine the nature of this?

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
Math100
Homework Statement
Let ## n>1 ## be a positive integer such that the functional ## S[y]=\int_{0}^{1}(y')^{n}e^{y}dx, y(0)=1, y(1)=A>1 ##, has a stationary path given by ## y=n\ln(cx+e^{1/n}) ##, where ## c=e^{A/n}-e^{1/n} ##. Use the Jacobi equation to determine the nature of this stationary path.
Relevant Equations
Jacobi equation: ## \frac{d}{dx}(P(x)\frac{du}{dx})-Q(x)u=0, u(a)=0, u'(a)=1 ##, where ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2} ## and ## Q(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y^2}-\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial y'}) ## vanishes at ## x=\tilde{a} ##.

For sufficiently small ## b-a ##, we have
a) if ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}>0, a\leq x\leq b, S[y] ## has a minimum;
b) if ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}<0, a\leq x\leq b, S[y] ## has a maximum.

Jacobi's necessary condition: If the stationary path ## y(x) ## corresponds to a minimum of the functional ## S[y]=\int_{a}^{b}F(x, y, y')dx, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ##, and if ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}>0 ## along the path, then the open interval ## a<x<b ## does not contain points conjugate to ## a ##.

A sufficient condition: If ## y(x) ## is an admissible function for the functional ## S[y]=\int_{a}^{b}F(x, y, y')dx, y(a)=A, y(b)=B ## and satisfies the three conditions listed below, then the functional has a weak local minimum along ## y(x) ##.
a) The function ## y(x) ## satisfies the Euler-Lagrange equation, ## \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'})-\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0 ##.
b) Along the curve ## y(x), P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}>0 ## for ## a\leq x\leq b ##.
c) The closed interval ## [a, b] ## contains no points conjugate to the point ## x=a ##.
Here's my work:

Let ## n>1 ## be a positive integer.
Consider the functional ## S[y]=\int_{0}^{1}(y')^{n}e^{y}dx, y(0)=1, y(1)=A>1 ##.
By definition, the Jacobi equation is ## \frac{d}{dx}(P(x)\frac{du}{dx})-Q(x)u=0, u(a)=0, u'(a)=1 ##, where ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2} ## and ## Q(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y^2}-\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial y'}) ## vanishes at ## x=\tilde{a} ##.
Note that ## F(x, y, y')=(y')^{n}e^{y} ##.
This gives ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}=n(n-1)(y')^{n-2}e^{y} ## and ## Q(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y^2}-\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial y'})=(y')^{n}e^{y} ##.
Observe that ## \frac{d}{dx}(P(x)\frac{du}{dx})-Q(x)u=0\implies \frac{d}{dx}((n(n-1)(y')^{n-2}e^{y})\frac{du}{dx})-(y')^{n}e^{y}\cdot u=0\implies n(n-1)(y')^{n-2}e^{y}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-(y')^{n}e^{y}\cdot u=0 ##.
Thus, the Jacobi equation is ## n(n-1)\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-(y')^2\cdot u=0 ##.

From this Jacobi equation above, how can we determine the nature of this stationary path?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the solution of the EL equation as [itex]y(x) = n \ln(cx + e^{1/n})[/itex] so that [itex]y' = (cn)/(cx + e^{1/n})[/itex] and [itex]e^y = (cx + e^{1/n})^n[/itex] where [itex]c = e^{A/n} - e^{1/n} > 0[/itex]. Hence [tex]\begin{split}
Q &= (y')^ne^y - \frac{d}{dx}(n(y')^{n-1}e^y) \\
&= \left(\frac{cn}{cx + e^{1/n}}\right)^n(cx + e^{1/n})^n
- \frac{d}{dx}\left( n \left( \frac{cn}{cx + e^{1/x}}\right)^{n-1}(cx + e^{1/n})^n\right) \\
&= (cn)^n - \frac{d}{dx}\left( n(cn)^{n-1}(cx + e^{1/n})\right) \\
&= 0 \end{split}[/tex] and I leave you to determine [itex]P[/itex].

Likes Math100
pasmith said:
You are given the solution of the EL equation as [itex]y(x) = n \ln(cx + e^{1/n})[/itex] so that [itex]y' = (cn)/(cx + e^{1/n})[/itex] and [itex]e^y = (cx + e^{1/n})^n[/itex] where [itex]c = e^{A/n} - e^{1/n} > 0[/itex]. Hence [tex]\begin{split}
Q &= (y')^ne^y - \frac{d}{dx}(n(y')^{n-1}e^y) \\
&= \left(\frac{cn}{cx + e^{1/n}}\right)^n(cx + e^{1/n})^n
- \frac{d}{dx}\left( n \left( \frac{cn}{cx + e^{1/x}}\right)^{n-1}(cx + e^{1/n})^n\right) \\
&= (cn)^n - \frac{d}{dx}\left( n(cn)^{n-1}(cx + e^{1/n})\right) \\
&= 0 \end{split}[/tex] and I leave you to determine [itex]P[/itex].
Based on ## F(x, y, y')=(y')^{n}e^{y} ##, I've got ## P(x)=\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y'^2}=n(n-1)(y')^{n-2}e^{y}=n(n-1)(\frac{cn}{cx+e^{1/n}})^{n-2}\cdot (cx+e^{1/n})^{n}=n(n-1)(cn)^{n-2}\cdot (cx+e^{1/n})^{2} ##. After substituting ## c=e^{A/n}-e^{1/n} ##, I've got ## P(x)=n(n-1)[(e^{A/n}-e^{1/n})n]^{n-2}\cdot [(e^{A/n}-e^{1/n})x+e^{1/n}]^2 ##. But how should I simplify ## P(x) ## from here?

Do not substitute for [itex]c[/itex]; it is enough to note that [itex]c > 0[/itex] and [itex]n > 1[/itex]. [itex]P(x)[/itex] is a quadratic in [itex]x[/itex]. What is the sign of its leading coefficient, and where are its zeros? Is it positive or negative on [itex](0,1)[/itex]?

Since [itex]Q = 0[/itex] the Jacobi equation reduces to [tex]
P(x)u'(x) = P(0)u'(0).[/tex]

Likes Math100
pasmith said:
Do not substitute for [itex]c[/itex]; it is enough to note that [itex]c > 0[/itex] and [itex]n > 1[/itex]. [itex]P(x)[/itex] is a quadratic in [itex]x[/itex]. What is the sign of its leading coefficient, and where are its zeros? Is it positive or negative on [itex](0,1)[/itex]?

So ## P(x)=n(n-1)(cn)^{n-2}\cdot (cx+e^{1/n})^2\implies P(0)=n(n-1)(cn)^{n-2}\cdot e^{2/n} ##. But how should I find out if ## P(x)<0 ## or if ## P(x)>0 ##? And for the interval ## (0, 1) ##, what's ## 1 ## in here in knowing that ## x=0 ##?

pasmith said:

The sign of its leading coefficient is positive and ## P(x) ## has one zero at ## x=-\frac{e^{1/n}}{c} ##. Also, on the conditions that ## c>0, n>1 ##, I found out that ## P(x)=n(n-1)(cn)^{n-2}\cdot (cx+e^{1/n})^2>0 ## for ## 0\leq x\leq 1 ##. Does this indicate that our functional ## S[y] ## has a minimum (In other words, this is the nature of our stationary path)?

Last edited:

1. How do I use the Jacobi equation to determine the nature of this?

To use the Jacobi equation to determine the nature of a system, you first need to write down the Jacobi equation for the system you are analyzing. This equation relates the second derivative of the system's potential energy with respect to the generalized coordinates to the system's equations of motion. By solving the Jacobi equation, you can determine the stability and dynamics of the system.

2. What information can I extract from the Jacobi equation?

The Jacobi equation provides valuable information about the stability and behavior of a dynamical system. By analyzing the solutions of the Jacobi equation, you can determine the nature of the equilibrium points, the presence of periodic orbits, and the stability of the system. This information is crucial for understanding the dynamics of complex systems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How can I apply the Jacobi equation to real-world problems?

To apply the Jacobi equation to real-world problems, you need to first identify the system you are analyzing and write down the relevant equations of motion. Then, you can use the Jacobi equation to study the stability and behavior of the system. By analyzing the solutions of the Jacobi equation, you can gain valuable insights into the dynamics of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.

4. What are the limitations of using the Jacobi equation to determine the nature of a system?

While the Jacobi equation is a powerful tool for analyzing the stability and behavior of dynamical systems, it has some limitations. The Jacobi equation assumes that the system is described by a smooth potential function and that the equations of motion are well-behaved. In practice, these assumptions may not always hold, leading to inaccuracies in the predictions made using the Jacobi equation. Additionally, solving the Jacobi equation can be computationally intensive for complex systems.

5. Can the Jacobi equation be used to study chaotic systems?

Yes, the Jacobi equation can be used to study chaotic systems. Chaotic systems are characterized by sensitive dependence on initial conditions and complex, unpredictable behavior. By analyzing the solutions of the Jacobi equation for chaotic systems, you can gain insights into the underlying dynamics and identify patterns in the system's behavior. However, studying chaotic systems using the Jacobi equation can be challenging due to the intricate nature of chaos and the difficulty in predicting long-term behavior.