Formula for Density

by FeDeX_LaTeX
Tags: density, formula
FeDeX_LaTeX
Mar7-10, 02:03 PM
P: 425
Hello;

I know that the formula for density is mass/volume. However, this is only true for rest mass. What about when the particle is moving?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
jtbell
Mar7-10, 02:07 PM
Mentor
P: 11,255
This opens up the whole can of worms about the different kinds of mass in relativity. I suppose the answer would depend on what you want to use the density of the moving object for.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Mar7-10, 02:38 PM
Mass increases with velocity, right?

Do I have to use Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and somehow use that with my original density formula? I'm confused

IttyBittyBit
Mar8-10, 01:24 AM
P: 159

Formula for Density

Note that the particle itself would not know if it is moving or not, unless it was being accelerated. So according to the particle, it's density would not increase.
However, from the viewpoint of an external observer, it could be said that the density of the object had, in a way, increased.

In the end, whether this density is what would fit in with your usual concept of density or not, depends on what you want to use it for, as jtbell said.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Mar17-10, 02:44 AM
However, from the viewpoint of an external observer, it could be said that the density of the object had, in a way, increased.
I don't get it... what do you mean by this?

Register to reply