Register to reply

Crank-Nicolson vs Heun's method

by Smed
Tags: cranknicolson, heun, method
Share this thread:
Smed
Apr6-10, 09:49 AM
P: 30
Hi, can someone tell me the difference between the Crank-Nicolson and Heun numerical methods? For Heun's method I'm looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heun%27s_method and for the Crank-Nicolson method I'm looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank%E...icolson_method . When I actually carry out a calculation with equal timesteps for both methods and f(t,u)=-.5*u, I get the exact same solution.

The equation I have for both is:

u[tex]^{n+1}[/tex] = u[tex]^{n}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]u[tex]^{n}[/tex]dt - [tex]\frac{1}{8}[/tex]u[tex]^{n}[/tex]dt[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Lord Crc
Apr9-10, 10:02 AM
P: 88
I'm no expert, but from what I can gather Heun's method is for ODE's while Crank-Nicolson is for PDE's?
matematikawan
Apr9-10, 10:39 AM
P: 333
Heun's method is an improvement of the forward Euler's method which is an explicit method.
While Crank-Nicolson method is an implicit method. Probably the improvement for the backward Euler method. This is the Crank-Nicolson method for ODE.

But of course the Crank-Nicolson method is verypopular in PDE.

Lord Crc
Apr10-10, 09:46 AM
P: 88
Crank-Nicolson vs Heun's method

Ah, in all cases I've come across Crank-Nicolson, it has been to solve PDEs.

So, if I read my notes correctly, while both methods take an average of the current state and the state at the next timestep, the main difference between Heun's method and Crank-Nicolson is that for Heun's method you use a predictor for the next timestep, keeping it explicit, while for Crank-Nicolson it is used implicitly instead. At least that's my understanding.

Using this I get some different results from yours, both with Crank-Nicolson and Heun's method, are you sure you do Heun's method correctly?
Redbelly98
Apr10-10, 05:57 PM
Mentor
P: 12,071
Quote Quote by Smed View Post
The equation I have for both is:

u[tex]^{n+1}[/tex] = u[tex]^{n}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]u[tex]^{n}[/tex]dt - [tex]\frac{1}{8}[/tex]u[tex]^{n}[/tex]dt[tex]^{2}[/tex]
If we make that a +⅛ instead, I agree that Heun's method gives that equation. But I get something different for Crank-Nicolson.

For Crank-Nicolson, ignore the x-dependence of u and we have
(un+1 - un) / Δt = ( - un+1 - un)
Solve that for un+1 and we get something different than the Heun's method equation. (Though they do agree up to order Δt2.)

Register to reply